Mixing Cobalt and seep point motors

Rate this question

scahalane

Question

I've been using seep point motors on my layout up to now. However I am about to add 20 new points using Cobalt Classic (Omega Analog) motors. I was wondering if I need to isolate the seep point area from the Cobalt points completely using rail insulators as I'm using a CDU unit with the Seeps.

I'm not very electrical minded so any advise would be appreciated.

3 answers to this question

If you are doing Frog Switching on electro frog points Sean then you will need insulators mate. if you have insulfrogs then no need to worry bout it, As Noel says you will just be powering the point motors.

Cobalt Classic Ω has THREE on-board SPDT switches - one linked to the two power input wires is "diode controlled" and is perfect for panel lights or switching of signals, low current relay control or feedback/computer IO. The other two are tough 5 amp SPDT switches that you can use for frog power or any other form of switching/interlocking around the layout.

image.thumb.png.6863f89bec40e678c3bd1da831b127a5.png

28 minutes ago, scahalane said:

I've been using seep point motors on my layout up to now. However I am about to add 20 new points using Cobalt Classic (Omega Analog) motors. I was wondering if I need to isolate the seep point area from the Cobalt points completely using rail insulators as I'm using a CDU unit with the Seeps.

I'm not very electrical minded so any advise would be appreciated.

Not sure I understand what you mean by 'isolate the seep point area from the Cobalt points'. Neither point motors are wired to the track used for loco traction. Seep or Cobalt will have their own independent power supply, the Seeps 16vac probably via a CDU, the Cobalts via a regulated power supply (12-18v DC). The collection of Seeps will have their own wiring and power supply as will the cobalts. Do NOT used the CDU with the cobalts. You will be able to use the same type of switches but independently wired.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Thanks Noel, I think that answers my question. Its been so long sinse I last did any electrics on the layout that I had forgotten how the whole thing works, in my head I was thinking that the main power to the point motors was coming from the track bus instead of an independant power supply. (Rusty or what!!)