Micro Layout Glenlyon Cement

Rate this topic

richrua

Hi all. It has been quite some time since I've been on here. (This has been down to some general fatigue and aches and pains, along with a hectic family life, new job and just not having much time) . Any way, I felt less and less like going to the attic, so I took the decision to run down the attic layout and work on a simple micro layout that could be stowed away easily. My mind was made up when my father in law gave me a stock of wood off cuts including  a number of ply boards cut to about 8" by 3ft , and some more a little shorter. As soon as I saw them I started thinking "layout, layout". I'm recycling most railway items from previous efforts to keep the cost down. Here's a few  snaps of work so far: 

20200424_165035.jpg

20200426_154627.jpg

20200426_185007.jpg

20200427_021015.jpg

20200429_004006.jpg

• Like 18

Ok, so it will be a very small 'inglenook' type shunting layout with an extra fiddle yard/board . I also ran the track from board edge to edge at the back so that I could make another section at a later date. A modular idea - as I have several of these ply wood sheets ready cut. But that is for the future. (In the past i have always moved on to more and more and then never actually completed a layout , or close to complete anyway!) I'll try to attach a plan. 

15882426963171100511361576150057.jpg

15882427389196442464620525408698.thumb.jpg.a9dab1a082c8b0f7e6e8e083a5485dec.jpg

• Like 5

I got plenty done this evening, after working from home all day. After I tested the points ( i had to try to off-set one as it was too near the edge - it is working for now) and general running, i was happy to proceed with adding the back scene and sides. I will make an overall cover eventually i think. I then made my first cassette for my simple fiddle yard. Also, as I'm recycling things , I am sorting out a nice Faller cement works kit, adjusted a little to fit. I also made another building from a coke can, some old sprue and the sheets of ties from cheap sandwich bags to make a corrugated building. It's a false entrance- trains wont be able to go through. That's about it for now  tomorrow I'm going to work on finishing the buildings I think.

20200501_223956.jpg

20200501_224003.jpg

20200501_191818.jpg

20200501_224025.jpg

15883699100167465176389103385719.jpg

• Like 8
  • WOW! 1

Thanks folks. More to come! I'll be detailing that building a bit more.  I'm trying to fit some electro magnets for Auto uncoupling.  Does anyone know if they would be powerful Enough to work through 6mm ply ? 

Lessons for all of us here, not least that it doesn't have to take years to build a model railway - you can have something up and running in a fairly short space of time.

Nothing wrong with taking longer of course, but for anyone thinking of having a go, starting small and doing something achievable is the way to go methinks

Thanks David, still a lot of neatening up to be done of course, but that's the basis, and most importantly I have a working model with point motors etc - being able to just flip the small board to fit them was great!!! I am going to make another 'scene' on the same size board, which I can join in a modular fashion to either side of this one. I'm just delighted that it works well and I can now get the balance right between build and operation! It is also interesting how much you can do with 3ft x 8" . 

Edited by richrua
Added info

• 1 month later...

Hi Richrua . brilliant work  really like it . doint know if ime right but you doint see many irish micro layouts  so its a real treat . strange thing as well i did build a small micro cement layout my self  some years back to run my 141 on . hope you doint mind i slipped a pic of it in  cheers kevin . 

141 cement  micro.JPG

• Like 10

Love it! That looks great. Lockdown allowed me to build a small shed/workshop/potting shed to keep my micro layout in. I had an old double glazed window and apart from the roof panels, was able to build it with wood I had about , including old fence panels. I'm planning a small outdoor extension to the micro , to add a little more running space. I'll put some pics up soon , but I've actually found myself busier lately ! 

Yes the lock down has made many of us make do with what ever we have laying around . i know my self have made good use of a recycleing  a old base board for my latest l micro layout . sounds like you had real good fun makeing your shed . seeing your layout has made me think about have a second go at a nother micro cement layout  who knowns .  I do like your main buildings at the far end of your layout are they all scratch built  . they look really impressive . 

• 5 months later...

Hi folks, made some slight changes to the layout in order to extend it in the shed, but it still can function as a seperate 'module' . I've picked up a 121 and I've added a station area. The boards are shallow, hence the low scenic amount, but most of all it works. I have a detachable loop that runs outside the shed for when it's not raining ! 20201230_142226.thumb.jpg.e6f592e78798d9925ac31b4e83d7ba64.jpg20201230_142124.thumb.jpg.60a671a56252927a298a823bb40788b1.jpg

20201230_142132.jpg

20201230_142405.jpg

• Like 3