MURPHY MODELS 121 NON SOUND DECODER

Rate this question

DB JOE

Question

Hi Guys

A little help required. Just got a murphys decoder (non sound) for my 121. I have movement in both directions and marker lights work fine but no main headlight either cab or bonnet end will work I know the headlight is working as I have tried it under analogue .All the micro switches have been put in the On position also  Do you need to function map the decoder so that the main headlight will work? I use a LENZ LZV 100 controller .Any help would be appreciated .Great model and silky smooth when running just like the main head light to  work also Many Thanks

Joe

14 answers to this question

24 minutes ago, DB JOE said:

Hi Guys

A little help required. Just got a murphys decoder (non sound) for my 121. I have movement in both directions and marker lights work fine but no main headlight either cab or bonnet end will work I know the headlight is working as I have tried it under analogue .All the micro switches have been put in the On position also  Do you need to function map the decoder so that the main headlight will work? I use a LENZ LZV 100 controller .Any help would be appreciated .Great model and silky smooth when running just like the main head light to  work also Many Thanks

Joe

Is the decoder the Murphy Models decoder specifically designed for the 121?

Edited by irishthump

Had a similar situation when first put on track and using the F0 function key.  Then I used the Headlight function key on the controller first.  That turned on the lights  and seemed to sort things.  It is now settled and either the Headlight key and F0 will work fine, on/off.  I have an NCE PowerCab and I still have nothing on F1 or F2.  Also when first put on the track I found that the loco had to be moving in order for the headlights to come on but that has settled too and all lights now work before take off (parked).   

As you say, a super model and well worth the wait.

Still no luck with this issue. Is my Lenz system just not compatible with these new murphy chips??? Have tried the chip in my other murphys 121 models and same problem. No main headlight working even when model is moving!!!! I have found that F1 and F2 seem to work in reverse ie turning them on in the normal way on the lenz handset actually turns off the marker lights and turning them off on the lenz handset turns them on. The model works fine in analogue with all lights working. Seems I have a function mapping issue which Im not confident in my abilities to fix tend to make things worse. Any help would be appreciated

16 minutes ago, DB JOE said:

Still no luck with this issue. Is my Lenz system just not compatible with these new murphy chips??? Have tried the chip in my other murphys 121 models and same problem. No main headlight working even when model is moving!!!! I have found that F1 and F2 seem to work in reverse ie turning them on in the normal way on the lenz handset actually turns off the marker lights and turning them off on the lenz handset turns them on. The model works fine in analogue with all lights working. Seems I have a function mapping issue which Im not confident in my abilities to fix tend to make things worse. Any help would be appreciated

There should be no problem with compatibility, ESU decoders will work with any DCC system.

I suggest doing a hard reset, set CV8 to 8, then try again. This is best done on a separate programming track and 2 it a couple of times to be sure. 

Things are not quite what they seemed last night.  F1 and F2 turn off/on all the lights - headlight and marker lights - not just the marker lights.  But that's not a big deal and I could live with that.  Then this morning when I powered up to have another look, the loco number had been changed (by some mysterious night shift) from the factory default no 3 to loco number 121.  Don't understand how that could happen when everything was powered off and unplugged.  So, I selected forward for loco 121 and nothing happened on any of the speed function keys.  Tried some lights and nothing.  Same when I selected reverse.  So, selected loco 3 and had a wonderful display of the 'bat out of hell' loco.  It took off like mad.  All speed function keys have the same result.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is a bit on one of the CVs and if it is set ON then locos must have long addresses.  Maybe something has been set as a default and that is the cause.  So, I'll give the loco a long address and see how that goes even though I haven't edited any CVs.  The retailer who supplied the chip also recommended checking that the chip is fully home on the pins and I'll check that too.  If that doesn't work I try the reset CV8=8.  If that doesn't work I kinda like the idea of having my own 121 Maglev.

Thanks for reply  tried a complete reset cv8=8 no joy made sure decoder fully home on the pins still no joy tried the decoder in my other 2 121's got the same issue no main headlight im sure your right about the bit in cv's that need to be turned on its finding the correct cv and the bit dont want to mess about too much with the cv's and completely mess things up was thing of returning the decoder to marks models where it was purchased and exchanging for another see if I get the same issue

47 minutes ago, DB JOE said:

Thanks for reply  tried a complete reset cv8=8 no joy made sure decoder fully home on the pins still no joy tried the decoder in my other 2 121's got the same issue no main headlight im sure your right about the bit in cv's that need to be turned on its finding the correct cv and the bit dont want to mess about too much with the cv's and completely mess things up was thing of returning the decoder to marks models where it was purchased and exchanging for another see if I get the same issue

Replacing the decoder may be the best option at this stage. If you get the same issue with a new decoder then it may indicate an issue with the PCB but  think that’s unlikely if the lights work under DC power.