Brass Coach built by the late Tom Tighe (1917-2003)

Rate this topic

eugenepfox

Hello Everyone,

I attach some pictures of a brass coach built by the late Tom Tighe (known as Railway Tom). The coach was in Inchicore and I was asked if I could identify what it is. I am not very familiar with coaches and would appreciate any help please. I do not know the history of the model other than it is the work of Tom Tighe. It may have been built for training apprentices or as an example of the work that can be done at Inchicore. It may be that the model has no actual pedigree!

The bogies are and the buffers are sprung and the whole model appears to be riveted or crimped (no sign of any soldering anywhere!).

The track gauge is 45 mm and I have stood the coach on a piece of proprietary track. I have laid down a rule so the dimensions can be ascertained. There are 6 doors on each side and the sides appear to be identical.

Thanks in advance.

image.thumb.png.87e28e92e521be68b3264a48c49e5f08.pngimage.thumb.png.2c35805d410783059b829c5e9d520d91.pngimage.thumb.png.aa0e809afca90aedc24acf17a84c396e.pngimage.thumb.png.bed084dc9da2051564a52386cdac1207.png

• Like 2

The 

3 hours ago, eugenepfox said:

Hello Everyone,

I attach some pictures of a brass coach built by the late Tom Tighe (known as Railway Tom). The coach was in Inchicore and I was asked if I could identify what it is. I am not very familiar with coaches and would appreciate any help please. I do not know the history of the model other than it is the work of Tom Tighe. It may have been built for training apprentices or as an example of the work that can be done at Inchicore. It may be that the model has no actual pedigree!

The bogies are and the buffers are sprung and the whole model appears to be riveted or crimped (no sign of any soldering anywhere!).

The track gauge is 45 mm and I have stood the coach on a piece of proprietary track. I have laid down a rule so the dimensions can be ascertained. There are 6 doors on each side and the sides appear to be identical.

Thanks in advance.

image.thumb.png.2c35805d410783059b829c5e9d520d91.png

The coach is freelance, but the END profile is very unmistakeably DSER design; the side could be anything - though as Galteemore suggests, bears a resemblance to one of a set of old GSWR types which ended up in West Cork.

The bogies are freelance too.