Great Northern Class Y5 van

Rate this topic

leslie10646

DSC01023.jpg

For the devotees of God's Northern Railway, a van to hang on the back of your passenger trains.

The old GN was notable for the "tails" on its passenger trains - on secondary lines, often two or three vans like this - the old fashioned equivalent of a "tin van".

This one has been created by GLR3D Model Design and will be available through my Provincial Wagons website - I haven't got the pics up there yet!

It's produced by 3D printing and my photo doesn't do justice to it - it was an Irish day in Surrey - no sun! The way that Richard of 3D has got the dirt into the louvres is a delight and very typical of the GN mahogany coaches.

Guide price £80.

Leslie

Lovely model Leslie, any developments on a locomotive to pull it?

Now, that's a separate thread surely?

Personally, I have a shedful of SSM locos, and commend Des's locos to all - apart from the minor point that they'll cost you about £4/500 each, if you pay someone to build them for you!

However, I will admit that I have this ambition to commission a loco under the PW banner, so I can say I've produced a complete train! As they say in movies - "Watch this space" ......

Leslie

I though for a moment that Laurie was announcing a rtr Vs 4-4-0 http://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/IRISH-RAILWAYS/GREAT-NORTHERN-RAILWAY-IRELAND/17846660_NWbrJP#!i=1744829757&k=ZTq6jCm. I have managed to convince myself that I saw 207 in action on the main line, my first loco a a chisler in the early 60s

GLR3D Model Design seem to have mastered the art of 3D design with this van and the GNR full brake all that's needed is a couple of non-corridor coaches and a few bread vans to make up a typical Irish North passenger train.

Surprisingly kits of most of the common loco classes are available in kit form from SSM, Worsley Works and GLR3D. The little GLR JT tank appears to be a reasonably simple to build model for the beginner and ideal for the Belturbet branch. The blue liveried S & U Class 4-4-0s added a splash of colour, S worked to Enniskillen on a GAA special and possibly other excursions, while the modern U class regularly worked daily the Bundoran Express through from Dundalk. The SSM PP 4-4-0 and SG and AL 0-6-0 are suitable goods engines.

Edited by Mayner

Now, why would I want to announce a rtr Class VS? I've already got one! Colm Flanagan has made about half a dozen for various of us over the last or so.

If you guys look up the link John has highlighted, I hope that you realise that the main photo isn't "Merlin" ( a Class V) but almost certainly No.207 after the UTA bought it in 1963.

John, I've noted your version of an Irish North train. Give me a while and I'll marshall it upstairs and see if I can persuade the camera to photo it.

Leslie

Now, why would I want to announce a rtr Class VS? I've already got one! Colm Flanagan has made about half a dozen for various of us over the last or so.

If you guys look up the link John has highlighted, I hope that you realise that the main photo isn't "Merlin" ( a Class V) but almost certainly No.207 after the UTA bought it in 1963.

John, I've noted your version of an Irish North train. Give me a while and I'll marshall it upstairs and see if I can persuade the camera to photo it.

Leslie

I managed to convince myself that I saw 207 Liffey at some time between first hearing “She loves me” and “Satisfaction”so definitely post 1963.

A master for a resin UG should be fairly straight forward to produce. Alternatively if you can find a builder the Worsley Works UG might be a workable alternative for batch building, especially if it can be made to fit on a Bachmann SECR C Class chassis.

John

First, No.207 was named after Ireland's Holy River - "BOYNE"!

Yes, you could have seen 207 somewhere on the GN Mainline during that period, as she worked shoppers' specials (every Thursday?) for CIE before the UTA bought her.

With the UTA she worked the weekly tourist train to Dublin, from Belfast; she worked the Sunday express from Belfast to Dublin and back in summer of 1964 (why, oh why didn't I opt for a few of those, rather than trips to Warrenpoint - which DID yield S Classes etc). She also ran specials for things like rugby matches at Lansdowne Road and, I assume Croke Park finals? - But she wasn't used that much - the semi fasts were in the hands of the 2-6-4 tanks.

Leslie