The perils of mail order...

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

A few weeks back I ordered some US detailing parts from an online retailer that I use quite a bit to feed my yank habit. I also ordered an Atlas grain hopper as part of the order. Unfortunately somewhere in the postage system the package had an altercation with some heavy machinery. When the package finally showed up this was presented to me.

Inside my detail parts were fine. Sadly, the freight car didn't fair so well... :((:((

The ladder end detail, etched roof walkway and bogie took quite a battering, while the steel weights inside the car broke loose.

The package was well packed and I have purchased from the same retailer before with absolutely no problem. It just goes to show that the postal services might not be as careful with your package as you might have hoped! Sometimes it does pay to shop local.

Having said that, I have bought hundreds of times online, both model railway items and other stuff from all over the world. Never once has something like this happened, so I should count myself lucky I guess. The An Post guy who usually drops off parcels here is brilliant too, and is always careful with our stuff and more than happy to look after deliveries for me and my brother. His dad is into trains, so knows how fragile they can be. He was embarrassed dropping this package off!

I emailed the retailer explaining what happened and they refunded me straight away. I offered to send them pictures but they had no hesitation that I was genuine and refunded me without question. Top service, and I will use them again in the future. I also think that I might be able to repair it, certainly worth a go!

Anyone have any mail order horror stories? (Thai brides don't count! ;))

023.jpg

022.jpg

008.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

023.jpg

022.jpg

008.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

Not quite the same thing, but I flew to Prague and back a while ago and witnessed the extraction of the baggage from the hold at both ends. In Prague, they inserted the baggage conveyor into the hold and items were transferred fairly carefully into the carts of the baggage train - in Birmingham, the chap in the hold just flung them out of the hatch onto the concrete, where another chap picked them up and flung them 15-20 feet into the wagons - several missed and fell onto the concrete again. The conveyor was there, but probably too much trouble to use....

When I was in Berlin LOXX exhibition I ordered a piko intercity start set from the shop to Belfast when the shop had them back in stock. When the set arrived I found that the packaging had ripped and the br101 was missing a pantograph and some of the other roof detailing. I fixed it though :)

Fran replace the broken bogie and weather it up to look like it has been damaged in service I think it would look great.

The end ladder detail is a separate part, so I think I'll email atlas and see if they have any spares in stock. They should have the bogies at least. As you said, bit of weathering, maybe some glue and she'll be lovely. The walkway on the top is etched metal, so could be bent into a more realistic shape.

As you can see the detail on this babies is lovely.

Cheers for the idea Seamus, I have a heavy duty flat car and an old Athearn Switcher body set aside for such a load. Just need to detail the body up and build up some bracing! On the 'to do' list which is getting longer and longer these days...

You seem to be posting a lot of American pics these days btw, are you on the turn? ;)

025.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

024.jpg

Edited by Warbonnet

You seem to be posting a lot of American pics these days btw, are you on the turn? ;)

no, afraid not. but i have to admit the quality and value for money of the yank stuff is excellent! i just cant get to like the rolling stock, espically the passanger cars-but the locos are tempting....

The end ladder detail is a separate part, so I think I'll email atlas and see if they have any spares in stock. They should have the bogies at least. As you said, bit of weathering, maybe some glue and she'll be lovely. The walkway on the top is etched metal, so could be bent into a more realistic shape.

As you can see the detail on this babies is lovely.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1327[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1328[/ATTACH]

Cheers for the idea Seamus, I have a heavy duty flat car and an old Athearn Switcher body set aside for such a load. Just need to detail the body up and build up some bracing! On the 'to do' list which is getting longer and longer these days...

Damn that etched walkway is lovely. Great for d'oul inspiration must say. And have to concur with Anto, fix up the bogies and make it look like in-service damage, awesome!

Not quite the same thing, but I flew to Prague and back a while ago and witnessed the extraction of the baggage from the hold at both ends. In Prague, they inserted the baggage conveyor into the hold and items were transferred fairly carefully into the carts of the baggage train - in Birmingham, the chap in the hold just flung them out of the hatch onto the concrete, where another chap picked them up and flung them 15-20 feet into the wagons - several missed and fell onto the concrete again. The conveyor was there, but probably too much trouble to use....

Similar story myself, a few years ago, while sitting waiting to depart on our delayed flight i saw the baggage car approach the plane. I joked to my wife " can you spot your bag " she said no but i think i can see yours sitting on top of the pile on one of the carts.

And she was right there it was my brand new nike holdall perched on the top of a heavilly over loaded cart. I said i feel sorry for whoever owns the bags on the bottom as they'll be squashed like a pancake, the words where barely out of my mouth when the luggage cart driver decided to turn quite sharply, my bag fell off and was dragged under the wheels of the next cart being towed. One of the ground staff went over to it and instead of picking it up kicked it to the plane. I threw a wobbler and was told by aircrew basically to sit down shut up or i'd be taken off by airport police.

I had to wait till i collected my bag the other side to inspect the damage, a nice tyre mark on the white nike swoosh and a very very strong smell of Hugo Boss aftershave from the bag where it was broken into splinters. My clothes where reeking like a lady of the nights handbag for the week I eventually saw the funny side of it..... after about two years :ROFL: