2700's New Lease of Life

Rate this topic

Barl

Apologies if this has been posted before but it appears IÉ have put out a tender for the refurbishment of the 2700 class railcars that are currently in storage.

http://https://www.kildarenow.com/news/increasing-train-services-anticipated-next-year-renovations-fleet-28-iarnrod-eireann-carriages/176306

That's positive news. Wonder if IR now regret scrapping the mk3's so prematurely.

The worst tin buckets of sh@*e they ever got... uncomfortable, unreliable, non existant brakes, constant electrical issues, door problems & not to mention the smell of sewage through the HVAC system. They will regret bringing them back in to service..

The worst tin buckets of sh@*e they ever got... uncomfortable, unreliable, non existant brakes, constant electrical issues, door problems & not to mention the smell of sewage through the HVAC system. They will regret bringing them back in to service..

Hi Rebelred. We'll that seems a fairly conclusive verdict and direct from 'the horses mouth' as they say. :) Noel

Sadly that is the way of the world on railways at the moment, many railways which operate with only DEMU's have found that if they have a fault then that whole unit is out of action until it is fixed, the London Underground Piccadilly line often has this problem, I read somewhere that it only has 36 train sets to cover all its operations, but a leading manager has suggested that they needs 39 units to cover all the services and to allow for down time when they suffer from leaves on the line and the increase of flats on the wheels.

IR will face the same problem's in the future if it goes down this route, I cant help but think that at a time when the world is trying to get rid of the diesel lorry on the road, why railways are not investing for the long term in electric traction and the movement of freight by train.

I am not suggesting we go back to the local pick up freight train, but continue with the current bulk transport methods and we could look at developing a container system that can be loaded and off loaded at a local level.

Recently I saw a bit on TV about a small company who manage an area of commercial grown trees in the kielder forest and from 12.30 am to 5.30am in the morning, they have a log train run alone the main line which stops at various loading stations to pick up logs, these stations are on the main line so they can move to wherever the tree felling is taking place rather that being in one fixed locating, so when this is happening the log train occupies the main line for all that time as it is not used by any other traffic, such is the success of this project they where considering running two train sets per night each of twenty wagons.

Sorry I am not up with what locos where used, but I think they where the class 57’s

it must be the worst ever mistake too let the mark 3 coaches rot away!!

a refurbishment would have also saved the distruction of the 201 class loco,s,

but i.r are set on getting rid of loco passenger haulage for good.

They were not let rot away. They ensured they were scrapped rather than dong things by halves. If only the enthusiasm could be refocussed