Dremel mini drills

Rate this question

enniscorthyman

Question

8 answers to this question

Hi Eamonn

A Dremel is a good solution, they are well made and worth the money, but for drilling less than 1mm- say .45mm one needs the mini drill in a drill press and Dremel's one is crap- I use one and have to remember when you pull down on the arm that drill goes off to one side and cannot drill straight!

Proxxon is the best solution for drilling, they have a good range of very nice mini drills and some great accessories- drill press, x,y tables, vice and consumables...

I have their Mill/drill stand unit BFB 2000 on my shopping list £158.00, it can also take a Dremel!- a bit pricey but I think I paid about €60 something for the Dremel stand and it.... well see above

Eoin

Dremel & Stand IMAG3221.jpg

I use this for general work, but for accurate stuff I use the Mill/Drill

The stand is useful if you don't expect two much from it, it looks good has a nice gear n stuff but the body is plastic and it bends!

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

My Dremel packed up after two years, but I replaced it with a similar one from Wilkinsons for half the price. Have a Proxon mini-drill as well, which has limited torque but is good for light work. I also still have an even lighter, cheaper version [!], which I use for drilling fine holes [below 1mm], with a slitting disk usually in the Proxon and the 'Dremel' kept for heavy work. As use can see, I find changing chucks, colletts etc a pain...