UTA "Brown Van" from Provincial Wagons

Rate this topic

leslie10646

To celebrate St Patrick's Day, a new wagon which could almost be seen from Slemish where the Saint "wrought a few".

The Ulstermen (remember we've got him up there!) have been pestering me for years to do a "Brown Van" and today the prototype arrived from the Isle of Wight - 

5aac34ee7d6ef_BrownVanACCR006.thumb.jpg.f5113e5e9c2d47725064b56afaebf6ed.jpg

Now that I have a couple of sides to send to Steve at Railtec, the next job is the transfers - not a lot, as it happens.

The eagle-eyed among the NCC fans will realise that this is the UTA version built in the late 1940s after WW2. The earlier NCC version has a totally different  chassis and wheelbase.

I should have supplies for Bangor.

Happy St Patrick's Day!

Now, all of yez get on yer knees and pray all night that The Boys give the English a hammering tomorrow at Twickers!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an extra note to say that the van kit is now in production and I should have about fifty kits at Bangor on 21/22 April.

As I have over fifty "statements of interest", if you plan to pick one up at Bangor, please send me a message through my website and I will reserve one for you.

The van kit, is priced at £29 and comes complete with transfers offering several different numbers - these will be the original numbers which they carried - there was a re-numbering.  

Leslie

The kit is now in production and I should have about fifty with me at Bangor.

However, as I have over fifty "expressions of interest" on file, please let me know if you hope to pick one up at the Show and I'll reserve it for you.

Same goes for any other kit you want - especially CIE wagons as I don't stock up on those for the  Northerners!

Please e-mail me via my website or at 

lesliemcallister@aol.com

Thanks

Leslie

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2018 at 9:24 PM, leslie10646 said:

The Ulstermen (remember we've got him up there!) have been pestering me for years to do a "Brown Van" and today the prototype arrived from the Isle of Wight - 

Just reminded me..... anyone remember Harry Enfield's character "William Ulsterman"?  Superb stuff!

Whilst admiring Nelson’s excellent work on the brown van, I happened to notice that on one side the doors opened to the left, while on the other side the doors opened to the right. Having assumed for many years that all the doors opened to the left, and never having seen anything to the contrary, I decided to do some research. I looked at dozens of pictures of brown vans, and in none of them did any doors open to the right, which I thought was a bit strange. Surely all the pictures cannot be of the same side of so many different vans.

There was, however, one exception to this, and that was the recently restored brown van at Whitehead, which has doors opening to the right, at least on one side.

I then checked a drawing which I have, and lo, the drawing shows doors opening to the left on one side, and doors opening to the right on the other. Now we all know how inaccurate drawings can be, so could it be that in this case, since I have not found any pictures showing doors opening to the right, that the drawing is incorrect, and the restorers have restored the brown van at Whitehead as per the drawing, and Leslie’s brown van kit is based on the restored van.

I am sure, and hopeful, that someone will come up with an answer to this.