Another dumb question

Rate this topic

Gavin Hamilton

A question for those knowledgable about coaches - I've seen b&w photographs of the Ballymena & Larne 'boat train' coaches as running on the Ballycastle line with the corridor 'blanks' lettered LMS NC but I don't know what colour it was, I wonder if it may have been gold to match the lettering in the livery?

Regards

Gavin

1 hour ago, Gavin Hamilton said:

A question for those knowledgable about coaches - I've seen b&w photographs of the Ballymena & Larne 'boat train' coaches as running on the Ballycastle line with the corridor 'blanks' lettered LMS NC but I don't know what colour it was, I wonder if it may have been gold to match the lettering in the livery?

Regards

Gavin

May be an image of indoor

At the bottom of this image, from Headhunters Railway Museum in Enniskillen, you see actual NCC lettering on actual NCC maroon paint. So that's the carriage colour, and that's the lettering style and colour. Often, the gold got faded to a wishy-washy creamy colour, and at the same time the shading was worn off.

The NCC tended not to put lining on much secondary stock, narrow gauge included, and often no LMS crest either. Certainly in later years, the Ballycastle stock had neither lining nor crests.

The above collection is worth looking at - many of the board backgrounds are in actual railway company paint, including the Dublin & Blessington; almost without doubt the only surviving example of their colour of green. Ditto the BCDR, UTA, Clogher Valley and T & DR (the huge garter on the left above the Donegal one).

Gavin, regarding the lettering of the gangway COVERS, this looks to me as if it was handpainted on; thus pale yellow.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Gavin Hamilton said:

A question for thos knowledgable about coaches - I've seen b&w photographs of the Ballymena & Larne 'boat train' coaches as running on the Ballycastle line with the corridor 'blanks' lettered LMS NC but I don't know what colour it was, I wonder if it may have been gold to match the lettering in the liv

13 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Only a few years old then, and possibly with lining too, as I think they were fully lined on delivery. Not later.

photo from 1936 attached but will not led me add the photo!

Edited by airfixfan