DCC Options for A Class

Rate this question

johnfromoz

Question

For those like me: 1). Lucky enough buy a fleet of these and; 2) Maybe cannot afford to put sound chips in all of them, I offer the following observations:

If. You cannot source/ afford the ESU V5 Lockpilot, a cheapie Lais 4 function + 2 Aux will control all light functions independently. But you will miss out on internal lighting.  This is an acceptable compromise for me, given I can source the Lais for 10GBP equivolent and will have non-sound in at least five locos.  Width space for the chip is tight in the A class, so had to shave a smidge off the chip silicon on both sides to slot in nicely.  Hope this helps someone...

5569B7AD-801B-4F78-B16F-FF10184398E3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Informative 4

13 answers to this question

Good post. I'll be in the same boat. I think I have about 40 Irish diesels now and I can't really justify spending at a bare minimum upwards of 4k on sound for all of them, even though I think sound is just the business. I am thinking I will ultimately fit sound to at least one of each Class/Engine example and maybe leave it at that, but I am also interested in fitting sound to the odd EGV (using only marginally cheaper sound fx chips).

I'd rather spend the money on models themselves when they are available so a price conscious DCC alternative is always welcome. Having said that, if you have LPv5's available, then I guess they would be better employed in the A's with its more comprehensive lighting functions than in the baby GM's or 121's which have no cab lighting from the factory.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Agreed Phil,

impressive though the sound chips are, to have them in every loco of a large collection is a bit indulgent. The cost soon mounts up. I think the noticeable rise in decoder cost  across the board in the past year will only be worsened by the current semi-conductor shortages. Gone are days of getting the basic Hattons ones for 8GBP after VAT removed. Just about everyone now charging 20 quid give or take.  Lais are cheap and cheerful, but do the job with six functions. They are particularly suited to Dapol’s lighting setup in most of their recent locos. Better than Imperium in my view and cheaper.

John

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, WaYSidE said:

are there any other options for chips, the warranty is 12 months on A's,  i need a chip to test the A,s

The DCC blank includes mini switches he’s for most of the light functions of that helps. Otherwise any generic 21 pin decoder that fits should let you run the engine. 

On 27/10/2021 at 9:41 PM, BosKonay said:

The DCC blank includes mini switches he’s for most of the light functions of that helps. Otherwise any generic 21 pin decoder that fits should let you run the engine. 

is there a video about fitting the loksound chips? to the A's

On 10/27/2021 at 8:49 AM, johnfromoz said:

For those like me: 1). Lucky enough buy a fleet of these and; 2) Maybe cannot afford to put sound chips in all of them, I offer the following observations:

If. You cannot source/ afford the ESU V5 Lockpilot, a cheapie Lais 4 function + 2 Aux will control all light functions independently. But you will miss out on internal lighting.  This is an acceptable compromise for me, given I can source the Lais for 10GBP equivolent and will have non-sound in at least five locos.  Width space for the chip is tight in the A class, so had to shave a smidge off the chip silicon on both sides to slot in nicely.  Hope this helps someone...

On 10/27/2021 at 8:49 AM, johnfromoz said:

Sorry mate, only just seen your post.  The lais is a six function chip ( 4 full and 2 logic) which is perfect for the A Class, with independent control of all head and tail lights.  The only thing you miss out on is cab lighting.  Maybe the Hattons chip is 6 full function?.

Hi again @johnfromoz cheers for the reply. actually found these decoders within the EU for around the price you listed from claudiodcc.com so have ordered a few to give them a try.

just wondering are you using the keep alive "kung fu" version with the additional 2 wires soldered to the board or just the most basic version with "no keepalive"(860019)

If using 860019, do the onboard stayalive caps on the A class still work? my instinct says yes and that they are the exact same decoder with the kung fu simply just having 2 extra wires soldered into a delicate area but i cannot confirm until mine arrive.

Sean