Westland Row signal cabin

Rate this question

kenbac

Question

Does anyone have photo of the Signal cabin on the south side of Westland Row, mentioned in “Rails around Dublin “ – p46.

Photograph taken from “The 1936 GSR-built signal cabin, which was situated on a structure spanning the tracks. It survived until the line was electrified.”

7 answers to this question

When I posted this photo I didn't have the full image.  Now that I can see the entire shot there are some interesting questions that it would be great to have answered.

The full image (use the + icon to enlarge things) is on the National Library of Ireland website at

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000306673

Where exactly was the signal cabin and is there any evidence of it to be seen today?

What are the carriages in the rake beyond the signal cabin on the carriage siding?

Where exactly was the signal gantry that shows beyond and above that rake?

Opposite the signal cabin on the engine siding there is a pit.  What kind of pit is it, ash or inspection or other?

Just beneath the pit there is a panel with writing, all set on a small plinth.  What is that and what might the text be?

Many thanks in advance

On 5/10/2019 at 2:10 PM, DART8118 said:

When I posted this photo I didn't have the full image.  Now that I can see the entire shot there are some interesting

!questions that it would be great to have answered.

The full image (use the + icon to enlarge things) is on the National Library of Ireland website at

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000306673

Where exactly was the signal cabin and is there any evidence of it to be seen today?

The signal cabin was built over the siding or loop on the  north or down side of the railway about one third of the way from Westland Row to Grand Canal Street shed  or between Pearse Station and Grand Canal Dock Station.  The only evidence is the triangular steel plate on the wall securing the upright to the diagonal brace,  a few feet in front of the bicycle in the picture.   You can see it better from a train travelling towards Pearse, provided nothing is parked in the loop.

DSERetc

DSERetc

Many thanks in advance

Where exactly was the signal gantry that shows beyond and above that rake?

Opposite the signal cabin on the engine siding there is a pit.  What kind of pit is it, ash or inspection or other?

Just beneath the pit there is a panel with writing, all set on a small plinth.  What is that and what might the text be?

Many thanks in advance

811blockquot

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:10 PM, DART8118 said:

What are the carriages in the rake beyond the signal cabin on the carriage siding?

From left to right, two Bredins (probably 1937 series), a Park Royal, another coach of either Bredin or early CIE (1950-2) design, and a wooden-bodied third of 1910-20 GSWR design.  All in black'n'tan, so probably 1965/70-ish.