GNR(I) Six Wheel Goods VANS

Rate this topic

Old Blarney

Somewhere, at the very back of my mind, I believe I saw a photograph of a GNR(I) six wheel Goods Van. Am I mistaken?  If one did exist was it similsr to this? If the answer is yes, then I hope this post is  of assistance to my fellow modellers of Irish Railways!

Wishing you each, 

Good health and happy modelling,

White.

Images from -  Hattons Models Ltd.

Hattons Model Railways
Rapido Trains UK OO SECR 6-Wheel Brake Van

Rapido Trains UK are producing a newly tooled range of SECR 6-wheel brake vans in OO gauge, covering both original and rebuilt body styles.

9ae838dc-54d6-4056-91ac-6130ba914a81.png
Due Q1 2023
  • 931001 - SECR grey with black underframe
  • 931002 - SECR grey
  • 931003 & 004 - SR brown with red ends and large lettering
  • 931005 & 006 - SR brown with red ends and small lettering
  • 931007 - SR brown with red ends and BR lettering
  • 931008 & 009 - BR grey
  • 931010 - Engineers black
£33.96 each
View all of these Rapido Trains OO Gauge SECR 6whl Brake Vans

68559a44-1dce-423b-b92b-86865df2d79a.png
Features include:
  • Highly detailed model with separately fitted parts
  • Accurate tooling variations
  • Split spoked wheels with metal bearings
  • Detailed interior
  • NEM couplings
View Features of the Rapido Trains OO Gauge SECR 6whl Brake Van

12eac437-8779-4217-9f4b-843c16224264.jpe
© Bradley Wurth

Prototype Information:

Based on a Midland Railway design, 10 Goods Brake vans were built for the South Eastern Railway in 1898, with a single veranda. 30 more were built during the next eleven years, followed by a further 50 in 1910. These differed from the originals in having a veranda for guard visibility at both ends, and the original vehicles were rebuilt to match.

Thank you young Sir,

"GNRI indeed had a 25 ton van not unlike. 23’ length if that helps. Don’t have a publicly licensed image to hand - sorry. Stick on a few big ‘G N ‘ letters and should look nice."

I'll have a go for a couple of these -

• 931002 - SECR grey.  Sligo Enniskillen Coolloney Railway. A wholley owned subsiduery of Córas Iompar Éireann.  Operated trains over the former Sligo Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway. Services commenced on October 1st, 1957 and ran until 1st April 1963.   
  • 931008  - BR grey.  Apply  letters G N.
  • Like 1

The GNR(I) had more than one of this type. In fact 35 although I do not know how many were still in operation. In 1914 there seems to be about 23 still working. No 50 was still operating in 1933 it was photographed  at Omagh. The GNR(I) version differs from those of Hattons in several ways. First the planking is all horizontal from roof line to chassis( 9 planks in total) including the doors. Not vertical. Second the running boards did not cover the centre wheels. With regards to markings the No 50 was in the centre of the 2nd plank above the chassis, the letters G N were spaced on either side of the No 50 but on the 3rd and 4th planks, on the 5th plank the words brake van are spaced within the spacing for the letters GN and lastly the  7th plank contained the words 25 Ton just above the words Brake van.. The length was 20ft over body(23ft over buffers)

In addition there was a more enclosed version No 95 which contained a drovers compartment with doors roughly in the middle. It was photographed at Antrim in 1955. Markings were different as was the size it was 28ft over body length (31 ft over buffers). Lastly there was a 4 wheel version of the same dimensions as no 50 it was numbered 56.

Hope this helps

MikeO

• Like 1

MikeO and jhb171achill,

Thank you for your time and information on this matter.  I note your comments.  Assuming I survive (I'm an aged fellow) I'll do my utmost to make my, supposed GNR version, as GNR as is possible. I have suitable transfers, just need, (A) remember where I have them stored?. (B) Hope they will be in a condition suitable for application?

No alterations required for my Sligo Enniskillen Coolloney Railway other than a stencil stating it's legally the property of Córas Iompar Éireann.

Sure the imagination is a wonderful thing! Some people count Sheep to aid sleep. My solution is to travel upon the Railways of Ireland, and to imagine:-

A journey from X to Y. 

What if?  

In my world of slumber, no line closures have taken place. 

How many alternative routes are there from my starting point to my destination? 

Can I get there without a reversal?

Which journey provided the least/greatest mileage?

How many towns or Cities can be visited in a single journey, no reversals and no repitition of movement over any track?

Which journey allows me to depart from a location containing an identical word or name as my destination?

Needless to say these all work for me, as I have yet to complete any of these journeys!

Think I'll start at Harcourt Street tonight. I wonder if I'll get as far as Renalegh? Distance - One mile. Time allowed in Working Timetable, start to start - 3 minutes.

Good night to you all.

White.

• Like 4