The coupling bar with the flat wagons.

Rate this question

Sean

Question

I'm really not a fan of the modern tension locks that come as standard on most stock so I've been thinking about alternatives for a while.

What exactly is the purpose of the coupling bars that are included with the flat wagons? Are they there for improved running on poorer trackwork or are they a prototypical thing for more realistic running?

Regards

Sean

11 answers to this question

sweet ill be giving them a go tomorrow, fixed rakes with tension locks on the ends until i can afford hunts or some other such nicetys.

any chance they might come with the taras also?

maxresdefault.jpg

definitely doesnt help that my trackwork is somthing like this......... 

• Like 1

IMG20220515020657.thumb.jpg.683ae9161630cbe61524afd0c9eb3e0f.jpg

Oh damn they DO close couple. I'm sure I tried them a few months ago and they didn't and I was like wtf what are they for so.

Now for the fun? Part.... Second radius curves, wagons are pulling around them without issue as the kinematic mechanism creates a little space between the buffers. Unfortunately this gap closes during push operations, such as into a siding and there's just a tiny bit of buffer lock that causes derailment.

I think it's easily fixed if I slide the couplings back about 1mm out of the nem pocket and add a tiny dab of hot glue to secure with easy removal later. Might ruin the close look slightly but my goal here is better running so it's not a problem

That's for tomorrow though.

EDIT: that worked perfectly,no glue needed. im sure ill be able to tweak them to give me the best of both worlds tomorrow.

EDIT2: just gave them a push with my hand around the most troublesome corners on the layout and the difference is phenomenol, they are sticking to the rails now!

1 hour ago, BosKonay said:

The Tara’s also included close coupling bars. 

They are on my maybe list for before they all vanish so this info helps ;)

Edited by Sean
added fix
  • Like 1