GNR(i) Ambulance Train Loco

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

178 was an SG class 0-6-0. The 4-4-0 number series  stopped at 174 and restarted at 190. 178 was delivered in 1913, new boiler 1949, went to CIE in 1958 and withdrawn Mar 61. Here’s a sister loco courtesy of Ernie. Very easy to see how these are a goods version of the more famous S class - crop off the wheels and the likeness is clear! 

212 GNRI 1956-06-07 Derry, Foyle Rd SG 176 coprint212

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, GNRi1959 said:

Galteemore, thank you for your reply.

I don't imagine an 0-6-0 pulling the nine carriages of an ambulance train on the mainline ferrying wonder soldiers from the battlefields of France.

You'd be surprised! They had these engines on a number of military-related trains. I was told a story of two of them (dunno what numbers) allocated to Belfast to Aldergrove trains of sand and supplies for the American air base there........

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

10 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

You'd be surprised! They had these engines on a number of military-related trains. I was told a story of two of them (dunno what numbers) allocated to Belfast to Aldergrove trains of sand and supplies for the American air base there........

Indeed, Jb. One reason they had 5’1 rather than 4’7 driving wheels as with previous GN goods locos was to make them suitable to haul excursion trains when required. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2