Rate this topic

228RiverOwenboy

23 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

there's no way under the sun they'd allow it to go nose first, so pairing will, I guess, be mandatory.

From what I have heard it is indeed possible to do this as long as you have somone on the other side of the cab. of course maintaining a turntable is much cheaper then paying for a 2nd man to be there (remember these were the days where they were trying to bring costs down) to get rid of the fireman and the driver to just the driver. 

And it’s not like all of the cravens have to be in use either. I know that effects finances but my interpretation is diesel is cheaper to run then steam!

Edited by Westcorkrailway

3 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

From what I have heard it is indeed possible to do this as long as you have somone on the other side of the cab. of course maintaining a turntable is much cheaper then paying for a 2nd man to be there (remember these were the days where they were trying to bring costs down) to get rid of the fireman and the driver to just the driver. 

And it’s not like all of the cravens have to be in use either. I know that effects finances but my interpretation is diesel is cheaper to run then steam!

No, unfortunately. Irish Rail charges overall would make many diesel trips hopelessly uneconomic. I’m aware of the quotations given in some cases recently and they’re higher than ever. A second man on a vintage diesel will add to this. Dropping carriages wouldn’t be an option, I’d say, for the reason you mention - munny€€€!