Permanent Way Weed sprayer

Rate this topic

Some kind of general weed killer is all I know. SLNCR also used the GN train. A circular was sent out to all staff beforehand warning them to cover up all flowers and vegetables at crossing cottages etc. The personnel running the train wore protective gear even back then so must have been pretty noxious stuff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

Some kind of general weed killer is all I know. SLNCR also used the GN train. A circular was sent out to all staff beforehand warning them to cover up all flowers and vegetables at crossing cottages etc. The personnel running the train wore protective gear even back then so must have been pretty noxious stuff. 

A chap I worked with in England had been sent there as a child refugee during the Spanish Civil war and he made his life there. This included having an allotment next to the railway on the southern approaches to Stafford station. Over time, his allotment expanded over the fence and finally reached up the embankment to the trackside.

I became aware that I also knew a chap completely separately who actually drove the weedkiller trains on the overnight spraying sessions and I asked him if he'd ever noticed this - "Oh yes, there's a pencilled note in the book, we're all careful to avoid spraying that bit"

Edited by Broithe
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 1