Any ideas on this little truck?

Rate this question

LARNE CABIN

Question

One of my intended scenarios for my Larne Harbour Station project is a scene where mail bags are being transferred from the GNR(I) P2 Parcels Van to a truck and hence to the steamer and onwards to Stranraer. In my mind I recalled pictures of a Scammell Scarab Flatbed. I was about to order a bargain really good condition one from eBay and paint it UTA green, add Red Hand logo etc., when I thought I'd just check the photo I'd seen, and oops! it's nothing like a Scammell!

2025103307_HarbourTruck1.thumb.JPG.70b61a93409d4a1706be3b025fd0b0f3.JPG

2040134547_HarbourTruck2.thumb.JPG.54817cc3c49faa3700b77d30d73c192a.JPG

The photo is from Michael Stevenson's Steam's Last Fling (Page 92), and is credited to J A Cassells.

Any ideas on what type of truck this is?

Edited by LARNE CABIN
Change Page No

3 answers to this question

It's nothing like a scamell scarab, but I think it is a Scamell, the script on the bonnet looks like their logo.. Likely a later design than the Scarab but with similar intended use or for use as a terminal tractor shunting semi-trailers onto the ferry.. What the model name is, I haven't the foggiest, doesn't seem to be much online about their smaller vehicles

Edited by MOGUL
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you may be right about the normal purpose of this "horse". It looks just like the shunting tractors used to shunt unaccompanied trailers onto the boats these days.

Obviously it isn't a new idea to leave the power unit behind and just put the wagon onto the boat (just like a train ferry in fact).

I asked Joe (who took the photo) if he could read the script, but alas, no.

Good luck with the model Larne Cabin - I visited that place dozens of times between 1964 and 1968.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1