Muprhy Models 121 LED issue

Rate this question

Georgeconna

Question

hi Lads,

Anyone have this problem, about 20hrs running on the clock, Left hand LED is working as you can see it flickers when I change the lighting but does not stay on.

Possible dry joint?

Looks Like a will have to take apart this yoke at some stage to investigate, bit of a dissapointment tbh given little use it has had.

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

Hi George. I am assuming you have tried a different decoder to quickly eliminate the one installed? It's the quickest and easiest thing to eliminate but assuming it is the loco wiring then a dry joint on the 21MTC socket might be a likely cause. If it was further away from the decoder I would expect a less all encompassing fault, only at one end (you don't say if it's at both ends), only affecting one led etc. If you are careful you might be able to reflow the solder joints on the MTC connector without disassembling the loco. That's probably what I would do as it's the path of least resistance, pardon the pun. However, it's a bit suss that that the right hand (as seen from the front) white marker light appears not to work at all, so maybe that one deserves special attention should you need to dive deeper into the loco.

• Like 1

Cheers,

Came back out today and started her up and bingo the LED is shining brightly so nothing to do right now.

I wonder is the Vibration of the sound no helping poorly soldered joints, It does Vibrate a fair ol bit, I will turn the Vol down a wee bit.

Could be either the Socket or the LED soldering. 2 points.

If happens again I check it out further but I will leave alone for now.

Cheers for the input!

• Like 4