Thinning cellulose spray paint for brushing

Rate this question

Peter

Question

Afternoon all.

I'm painting the 3d printed n gauge model below. I started by spraying it using a can of RAL 2011 from Vinny Byrne. Then I masked off and brush painted the black and yellow. The paint bled a bit under the masking tape. I'll fix the orange bits by brush painting.

• What's the best way for thinning the cellulose-based spray can paint for brush painting? Or can I spray directly onto a paint palette and brush without thinning?

Many thanks

IE 201.jpg

• WOW! 1

6 answers to this question

Have to say I would be tempted after the orange and a black roof  to have done the other side and ends with transfers. I know it is a "cruel" enlargement but the furry nature of the model will hard to "gloss over."  I have used halfords spray bumper filler and sanded back so the filler is in the groves - on one GW railcar I did this three times!  The print material is very hard to sand so filling is the only way forward I think.  I guess an SD40 chassis will give all the bits needed.  The Dapol and latest Farish coaches  give a good basis for stock and the MK1 a starting point for a gen coach. 

All good progress ! 

Robert   

As Robert says- the furry nature of the model will have it's touch up problems, I would go with the thickest paint (leave it in the palette to dry a bit after spraying) to cover the black runs. Thin paint from a brush might do the same thing- running into the black! Maskol fluid could be used on the edge of the black line to stop running if it happens.

Cellulose or Universal thinners is for cellulose paint.....

Eoin