Deleting articles and when did the 121s become cab forward only

Rate this topic

Dave Dawes

I don't think YOU can delete an article, it is my understanding that only a MODERATOR can do that. On occasions when I realize I've posted a load of drivel (incorrect or irrelevant), IF it is your posting go to the EDIT button (the three dots in the top right hand corner), slect EDIT and then delete the content of the post, then SAVE.

I think the 'cab forward' rule came in fairly early in their service because of sighting problems. JHB may know better. American loco drivers preferred 'cab rear' because it gave them greater protection at level crossing (much more common there than here) smashes.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lambeg man said:

I think the 'cab forward' rule came in fairly early in their service because of sighting problems. JHB may know better. American loco drivers preferred 'cab rear' because it gave them greater protection at level crossing (much more common there than here) smashes.  

Correct on all counts, Lambegman. It was pretty much from the word go, after trial run drivers complained they couldn’t see properly, especially on curves and lines where signals could be on either side.

Through necessity, though - with there being an exception to every rule - they worked the Barrack St branch in  Dundalk nose-first (in one direction!) on occasion, right to the end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

There is a photo deep in my camera roll of a 121 driving bonnet first with 20 odd bullieds in tow. I think there was 2 brakevans, almost certainly one of these test trains 

That very definitely would be a test train, and likely a mix of laminates and all sorts of older stuff.........interesting!