Barnadown Model Railway - New layout and looking for advice and comments

Rate this topic

Keano30

Hello folks, 

I’ve been fiddling about with my railway model for a few years now but finally had enough time to start planning it internist. I’ve started a YouTube channel to chart the progress of construction for this model railway which I am calling ‘Barnadown Model Railway’. Here’s the first video of me planning using AnyRail. I’d appreciate your constructive criticism as it’s my first video and want to make this channel as informative and entertaining as possible.

thanks for watching.

• Like 11

I’ve published my second video. It’s an update to the first planning video. Had to redesign the layout because of some errors with inclines. Hope you like. I’ll try to keep the videos to a max of 10 mins from now on. Sorry the first video was way too long.

Edited by Keano30

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
5 hours ago, Keano30 said:

Well I've changed the layout yet again but this time I think I got something I am happy with. I'm half way through the rebuild of the baseboards. Can't wait to start laying tracks.

Track with Baseboards.JPG

A layout design like this is nothing short of pure genius. Never have i seen any layout design with the amount of protypically realistic operational possibilities that this has. Just off the top'o'me head, and not counting the numerous GAA and pilgrimage specials, and depending what era you're representing, here are a few. Even in the modern era there are as many possibilities as the modern railway system actually has, bar the Dart!

GOODS

1. Beet. This will originate in the fiddle yard (FY), turn right when it leaves and run (laden, from Wellington Bridge) through Belview, Waterford (WD), and Thomastown (TT), and end up back in the fiddle yard, as it's going to Mallow, not KK. Of course, due to track work at "Clonmel", nothing to stop you routing it through KK, where it'll have run round - do a circuit and go back into FY.

2. Containers. FY - TT - WD - BV, return as well.

3. Timber. Laden FY - TT - WD - BV; empty return.

4. Depending on era, loose-coupled goods KK - TT - WD (Sallypark or Belview can equate to the old east and west goods sidings).

5. Loose coupled New Ross Goods. Runs WD - off past BV to the FY.

6. Wexford goods via Rosslare Strand (1963-76) - same as above.

7.  Pre-1963, the New Ross / Palace East / Macmine Junction mixed. Green and grey era - steam loco or filthy A or C, with one old green coach, a few vans, and a goods brake van.

PASSENGER

1. Waterford - Dublin express. Leaves WD, then TT, KK, and reverses there. A circuit of the layout in the other direction and it will come back into the FY, which of course is Dublin.

2. Waterford - Limerick Junction - Limerick. WD - passes S'Park - circuit round the layout - FY.

3. Pre-1967 (black'n'tan!) "Rosslare Express". This ran from Cork, via Mallow & Fermoy, to WD and on to Rosslare. Usually a 141 with maybe 4 coaches and a van or two. So this will go FY - WD - on through, past BV, and back to FY.

4. Limerick - Rosslare (1967-2002) train. Initially up to 5 or 6 coaches, latterly a 2-car 2800, or a 141 plus two Park Royals. This will follow the same route on your layout as th Rosslare Express above.

5. Waterford - Rosslare harbour local. On the layout, WD - BV - FY.

6. Pre 1963 local passenger train over the North Wexford line. Same as above.

This design you've arrived at presents probably the best set of prototypical operational possibilities that i have ever seen.

Even in a comparatively modern era, you've as much variety as the Variety Monster could throw a Variety Stick at.

If you're in the loose-coupled goods era, you'll have at any one time maybe two pilot engines in Sallypark and possibly a third shunting at Belview. These will inevitably be 141s. If, however, you expand pre-1963, and you've the Mallow and North Wexford routes as well, you're going to have 00 Works J15s, which monopolised beet in those days, were seen on goods and special passenger trains too, and until about 1961 provided power on the New Ross / Macmine branch too.

Even in the very modern era, both 071s and 201s on timber and containers (to some railwaymen, the "Sticks" and the "Boxes". You'll have Mk 3's - both PP and hauled types, and Mk 2s, hauled by 201s or 071s or pairs of 121 / 141. Beet will have just about anything; 071, 121, 141, 181, and not forgetting NIR's 112. You can put a 2-car 2800 on the Rosslare, and the Dublin and Limerick Jct will be 4-car and 3-car ICRs.

Go to the 1960s - and the variety in stock is massive. Main line services to Dublin will be a motley mix of Cravens, laminates, Park Royals and the odd Bredin - and until about 1965 thgere will be the odd green one amongst the black'n'tan sets. Locos will be 141s, or after 1972, re-engined "A"'s. Even B101s will appear, almost certainly only on the Cork - Mallow - Fermoy - Waterford goods, maybe the Rosslare Express the odd time. In contrast, the Macmine branch will have an elderly timber-bodied carriage, still green, a brand new tin van, and either an old "C" or a (steam) J15.

And don't forget the AEC railcars. When IRM announce their RTR ones next week (sez he, hopefully!) quite simply, it will be impossible to credibly model main line passenger in the 1953-64 period without any of these. During that period these were to be seen on ALL the lines radiating out of Waterford, bar Mallow which seems always to have been loco-hauled. From Waterford to Limerick, to Dublin via either Athy or Abbeyleix, on the North Wexford and the Rosslares. If and when these do become available to purchase, I'll certainly want a few; and they'd be perfect for this layout too.

OTHER

1. GAA specials

2. Knock specials

3. Ballast (J15s right to the end of steam, which as far as Waterford was concerned, was January 1963).

LOCOS AND ROLLING STOCK WITH REALISTIC USAGE IN VARIOUS PERIODS

1. 1950s - 1963

J15s - Beet, ballast, shunting, North Wexford branch

461 - occasional visits from DSER side

121 / 141 / 181 - absolutely everything. Black'n'tan liveries, plus light grey for 121s initially.

"A" class - Coming in from Mallow, Limerick Junction and Kilkenny directions, and beet. Silver, green, early blacl'n'tan and all-black variants.

"C" class - North Wexford line (silver, green, early black'n'tan and all- black)

B101 - Coming in from the Mallow direction, and continuing to Rosslare. Goods and passenger; silver, green, all black and early black'n'tan.

Wooden carriages - bogie and six-wheel - Macmine Jct branch.

Bredins / Park Royals* / Laminates*, with tin vans* and older 6-wheel full van brakes, plus old wooden bogie van brakes - green, also older green still on vans, black'n'tan (and silver on some of those marked *)

Loose coupled wagons, mostly wooden bodied opens but with Bullieds appearing increasingly. Standard CIE brake vans, possiby an old GSWR one on the North Wexford mixed. Yes - possibilities for MIXED trains on this layout too. All wagons grey, without exception; but the uniformity there is made up for by the massive variety above!

2. 1963 - 1972

Steam gone. All diesels either all-black or black'n'tan. All carriages same, though a few green ones linger till late 60s.

With the closure of the North Wexford, mixed trains and six-wheelers are gone too, as are the last older GSWR goods brakes. I think the pair used on the Loughrea and Castleisland lines were by far the last, in use until about 1974./5.

121, 141 & 181 classes monopolise passenger, with the odd "A", especially when re-engined, coming in from Dublin.

B101s rarely seen - usually just ballast.

Container wagons appear, as well as cement vans, back-to-backs, and after 1970s foir variety, the brown livery starts to appear. Older wooden-bodied goods vans almost if not literally all disappear by around 1971.

Cement bubbles appear!

3. Modern Times

After 1972, Mk 2 coaches start to appear on Dublin trains, but Limerick Jct and Rosslares will remain with laminates and Park Royals. Bredins gone by about 1973, last old wooden coaches from this area probably about 1969. Some Dublin trains are Cravens too - I recall a journey about 1975 in a set of mixed laminates, a tatty-looking Park Royal and Cravens with a 24xx dining car.

After mid-1980s, Mk 3s appear.

After 1976, loose-coupled goods is gone, and it's all containers. CIE bought loads of them in packs of three from IRM.

Modern 4-wheel fitted wagons of various types, and fertiliser bogies appear. Guinness and Fert specials up to New Ross!

After 1976/7, 071s appear.

Later, 2800s and ICRs.

Ooooooh boy.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1

3 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

A layout design like this is nothing short of pure genius. Never have i seen any layout design with the amount of protypically realistic operational possibilities that this has. Just off the top'o'me head, and not counting the numerous GAA and pilgrimage specials, and depending what era you're representing, here are a few. Even in the modern era there are as many possibilities as the modern railway system actually has, bar the Dart!

GOODS

1. Beet. This will originate in the fiddle yard (FY), turn right when it leaves and run (laden, from Wellington Bridge) through Belview, Waterford (WD), and Thomastown (TT), and end up back in the fiddle yard, as it's going to Mallow, not KK. Of course, due to track work at "Clonmel", nothing to stop you routing it through KK, where it'll have run round - do a circuit and go back into FY.

2. Containers. FY - TT - WD - BV, return as well.

3. Timber. Laden FY - TT - WD - BV; empty return.

4. Depending on era, loose-coupled goods KK - TT - WD (Sallypark or Belview can equate to the old east and west goods sidings).

5. Loose coupled New Ross Goods. Runs WD - off past BV to the FY.

6. Wexford goods via Rosslare Strand (1963-76) - same as above.

7.  Pre-1963, the New Ross / Palace East / Macmine Junction mixed. Green and grey era - steam loco or filthy A or C, with one old green coach, a few vans, and a goods brake van.

PASSENGER

1. Waterford - Dublin express. Leaves WD, then TT, KK, and reverses there. A circuit of the layout in the other direction and it will come back into the FY, which of course is Dublin.

2. Waterford - Limerick Junction - Limerick. WD - passes S'Park - circuit round the layout - FY.

3. Pre-1967 (black'n'tan!) "Rosslare Express". This ran from Cork, via Mallow & Fermoy, to WD and on to Rosslare. Usually a 141 with maybe 4 coaches and a van or two. So this will go FY - WD - on through, past BV, and back to FY.

4. Limerick - Rosslare (1967-2002) train. Initially up to 5 or 6 coaches, latterly a 2-car 2800, or a 141 plus two Park Royals. This will follow the same route on your layout as th Rosslare Express above.

5. Waterford - Rosslare harbour local. On the layout, WD - BV - FY.

6. Pre 1963 local passenger train over the North Wexford line. Same as above.

This design you've arrived at presents probably the best set of prototypical operational possibilities that i have ever seen.

Even in a comparatively modern era, you've as much variety as the Variety Monster could throw a Variety Stick at.

If you're in the loose-coupled goods era, you'll have at any one time maybe two pilot engines in Sallypark and possibly a third shunting at Belview. These will inevitably be 141s. If, however, you expand pre-1963, and you've the Mallow and North Wexford routes as well, you're going to have 00 Works J15s, which monopolised beet in those days, were seen on goods and special passenger trains too, and until about 1961 provided power on the New Ross / Macmine branch too.

Even in the very modern era, both 071s and 201s on timber and containers (to some railwaymen, the "Sticks" and the "Boxes". You'll have Mk 3's - both PP and hauled types, and Mk 2s, hauled by 201s or 071s or pairs of 121 / 141. Beet will have just about anything; 071, 121, 141, 181, and not forgetting NIR's 112. You can put a 2-car 2800 on the Rosslare, and the Dublin and Limerick Jct will be 4-car and 3-car ICRs.

Go to the 1960s - and the variety in stock is massive. Main line services to Dublin will be a motley mix of Cravens, laminates, Park Royals and the odd Bredin - and until about 1965 thgere will be the odd green one amongst the black'n'tan sets. Locos will be 141s, or after 1972, re-engined "A"'s. Even B101s will appear, almost certainly only on the Cork - Mallow - Fermoy - Waterford goods, maybe the Rosslare Express the odd time. In contrast, the Macmine branch will have an elderly timber-bodied carriage, still green, a brand new tin van, and either an old "C" or a (steam) J15.

And don't forget the AEC railcars. When IRM announce their RTR ones next week (sez he, hopefully!) quite simply, it will be impossible to credibly model main line passenger in the 1953-64 period without any of these. During that period these were to be seen on ALL the lines radiating out of Waterford, bar Mallow which seems always to have been loco-hauled. From Waterford to Limerick, to Dublin via either Athy or Abbeyleix, on the North Wexford and the Rosslares. If and when these do become available to purchase, I'll certainly want a few; and they'd be perfect for this layout too.

OTHER

1. GAA specials

2. Knock specials

3. Ballast (J15s right to the end of steam, which as far as Waterford was concerned, was January 1963).

LOCOS AND ROLLING STOCK WITH REALISTIC USAGE IN VARIOUS PERIODS

1. 1950s - 1963

J15s - Beet, ballast, shunting, North Wexford branch

461 - occasional visits from DSER side

121 / 141 / 181 - absolutely everything. Black'n'tan liveries, plus light grey for 121s initially.

"A" class - Coming in from Mallow, Limerick Junction and Kilkenny directions, and beet. Silver, green, early blacl'n'tan and all-black variants.

"C" class - North Wexford line (silver, green, early black'n'tan and all- black)

B101 - Coming in from the Mallow direction, and continuing to Rosslare. Goods and passenger; silver, green, all black and early black'n'tan.

Wooden carriages - bogie and six-wheel - Macmine Jct branch.

Bredins / Park Royals* / Laminates*, with tin vans* and older 6-wheel full van brakes, plus old wooden bogie van brakes - green, also older green still on vans, black'n'tan (and silver on some of those marked *)

Loose coupled wagons, mostly wooden bodied opens but with Bullieds appearing increasingly. Standard CIE brake vans, possiby an old GSWR one on the North Wexford mixed. Yes - possibilities for MIXED trains on this layout too. All wagons grey, without exception; but the uniformity there is made up for by the massive variety above!

2. 1963 - 1972

Steam gone. All diesels either all-black or black'n'tan. All carriages same, though a few green ones linger till late 60s.

With the closure of the North Wexford, mixed trains and six-wheelers are gone too, as are the last older GSWR goods brakes. I think the pair used on the Loughrea and Castleisland lines were by far the last, in use until about 1974./5.

121, 141 & 181 classes monopolise passenger, with the odd "A", especially when re-engined, coming in from Dublin.

B101s rarely seen - usually just ballast.

Container wagons appear, as well as cement vans, back-to-backs, and after 1970s foir variety, the brown livery starts to appear. Older wooden-bodied goods vans almost if not literally all disappear by around 1971.

Cement bubbles appear!

3. Modern Times

After 1972, Mk 2 coaches start to appear on Dublin trains, but Limerick Jct and Rosslares will remain with laminates and Park Royals. Bredins gone by about 1973, last old wooden coaches from this area probably about 1969. Some Dublin trains are Cravens too - I recall a journey about 1975 in a set of mixed laminates, a tatty-looking Park Royal and Cravens with a 24xx dining car.

After mid-1980s, Mk 3s appear.

After 1976, loose-coupled goods is gone, and it's all containers. CIE bought loads of them in packs of three from IRM.

Modern 4-wheel fitted wagons of various types, and fertiliser bogies appear. Guinness and Fert specials up to New Ross!

After 1976/7, 071s appear.

Later, 2800s and ICRs.

Ooooooh boy.

Thanks again Jonathan, I appreciate the compliment. Now all I have to do is build it lol. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Did you take up all the baseboards from last year? 🫣

Yes i did, some of those have been recycled into the new baseboards. I'm 50% of the way through the build of the boards, only 14 or so more boards to build. 

• WOW! 1

2 hours ago, derek said:

Hi Diarmuid, I'm confused . (what's new, says you). Is this the same layout from your other, more recent thread, "looking for collaboration etc..."? Just wondering..... 

No its new, I'm now able to incorporate Kilkenny, Thomastown, Sally Park, Waterford and Belview. The line runs around the attic on the perimeters now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question for you all. I'll be ready to lay track on my layout shortly and I intend starting with Belview port. My question is, does anyone know where I'd pickup some Gantry Cranes as Belview has two of them and I will eventually need some models of these cranes?

crane.jpg

Gamntry Cranes 4.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, David Holman said:

Feel sure somebody used to do a working model of a gantry crane, though it wasn't cheap.

Ah Yes  David Faller have a variant of the cranes and they cost €415 for the static version but if you want it running add another €386 so not cheap at all. I found them on their website last night 

IMG_6723.jpeg

IMG_6722.jpeg

Edited by Keano30
  • Like 2
  • WOW! 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Got this sign made for the layout. I think it was reasonably priced @ €20. It’s a aluminium sheet quite thin and light. 

https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/1597160653/custom-metal-street-sign-personalized?click_key=47a453e2713de9a9289f1ca6025b08e76ed60b0f%3A1597160653&click_sum=1f03e92b&external=1&ref=hp_opfy-1-1&pro=1&sts=1

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Edited by Keano30
  • Like 6