IRM A class bogies removal

Rate this topic

Sean Roberts

Has anyone removed bogies from an a class, I have one that appears to have a pick up problem or an intermittent short and I have eliminated evry thing bar the bogies and pick up strips so need to investigate them.

Any help would be great.

Thanks 

Edited by Sean Roberts

Technically it was a cat that removed them wasn't it 😄? IIRC the caps that snap over the worm gears should also be resonsible for holding the bogies in place. I would suggest taking a look at my workbench thread (not too far back) and see if the pics can help. I ended up needing to remove the PCB to gain access as there was no slack in the droppers to the bogies. It looks like there is just enough slack sometimes to ease the PCB out of the way (according to the IRM instructions for reaseating the popped out driveshafts). @DJ Dangerous maybe you could attach that file. I can't seem to find it now?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Technically it was a cat that removed them wasn't it 😄? IIRC the caps that snap over the worm gears should also be resonsible for holding the bogies in place. I would suggest taking a look at my workbench thread (not too far back) and see if the pics can help. I ended up needing to remove the PCB to gain access as there was no slack in the droppers to the bogies. It looks like there is just enough slack sometimes to ease the PCB out of the way (according to the IRM instructions for reaseating the popped out driveshafts). @DJ Dangerous maybe you could attach that file. I can't seem to find it now?

By the strictest legal definition, it was a cat, but writing that might have scared the OP off.

She's a very special cat, to be found anywhere that she shouldn't be...

I'd forgotten that the lads sent me that schematic for the duff 054.

Here it is.

As a disclaimer, I'd suggest contacting IRM in private before opening up a loco.

They have amazing customer service, absolutely can't be faulted.

A guide to self repairing a slipping driveshaft.pdf

• Like 4

13 hours ago, murphaph said:

Thanks for the useful information and photos, I have all stripped to the bogies,  still a bit unsure on the actual bogie removal , I'm thinking I have to remove the bogie cover that has IRM printed on it

20230418_205552.jpg

20230418_205619.jpg

20230418_205645.jpg

1 minute ago, Sean Roberts said:

Thanks for the useful information and photos, I have all stripped to the bogies,  still a bit unsure on the actual bogie removal , I'm thinking I have to remove the bogie cover that has IRM printed on it

20230418_205552.jpg

20230418_205619.jpg

20230418_205645.jpg

20230418_210332.jpg

• Like 1

I did not remove the axle cover plate as far as I remember. I was working the other way, putting a loco back together that had smashed to bits. If you want to remove the bogies from the chassis you need to unclip the lids where the drive shaft engages the worm gears and then the bogies should drop out but I was doing it in reverse so don't hold me to that. If you wand to inspect the axle gears then yeah that cover plate muct come off somehow. This is as far as I took them apart:

IMG_20230301_125735508.jpg

• Like 1

On 18/4/2023 at 9:30 PM, murphaph said:

I did not remove the axle cover plate as far as I remember. I was working the other way, putting a loco back together that had smashed to bits. If you want to remove the bogies from the chassis you need to unclip the lids where the drive shaft engages the worm gears and then the bogies should drop out but I was doing it in reverse so don't hold me to that. If you wand to inspect the axle gears then yeah that cover plate muct come off somehow. This is as far as I took them apart:

IMG_20230301_125735508.jpg

Sorted, thanks again for the help  issue was as I thought the pick up strips 

Edited by Sean Roberts
Spelling
  • Like 2