Tolka Sidings. A 4'x2' micro layout depicting IR 90's wagon repair shed and yard

Rate this topic

dave182

Tolka Sidings is set in Dublin in a corner of East Wall, and depicts a small yard as it was in the 90s, primarily used for wagon inspection and light repairs. It also occasionally acts as overflow for the North Wall yards, and for stabling PWD equipment at weekends.

As I love all things DSER, the back story is that this elevated yard was originally built by the DSER shortly after the Liffey Loop Line was completed, and was their only venture across to the Northside. Thus it is served by a sharp single line siding that heads off East after the wash plant at Connolly Station, crossing over the curves down from the Northern Line. A second track also connects to the Drumcondra line at Ossery Road. That's the theory anyways! 

20230413_175737.jpg

20230413_175721.jpg

20230413_175648.jpg

I've made some progress this weekend finally. I've got most of the hardstand in place, and made a start on the ballasting. The layout will be shunted using a sector plate

20230429_230501.jpg

20230429_200552.jpg

20230429_182503.jpg

20230428_201957.jpg

Edited by dave182
  • Like 15

I've been wrecking my head for weeks trying to think of something to put behind the yard as low relief. Specifically, something that would at least be a nod to the East Wall location. I've left a strip of 14cm along the back for this. I was thinking low relief houses, or East Wall Church. The church idea would be kinda cool, but might dominate the whole thing.

Whilst playing around this evening I placed some containers, and it actually looks well, and is a simple enough solution. On on the right hand side I'm playing around with the idea of a concrete mix plant. I remember the orange Readymix trucks and plant on the East Wall road beside the fire station, it used to be terrifying trying to cross the footpath across the front entrance! So I'll build that up and see how it fits.

20230430_225006.jpg

20230430_225018.jpg

20230430_225030.jpg

20230430_225041.jpg

Edited by dave182
  • Like 11

Finally for now, the whole thing is very loosely based on the wagon shed in North Wall. The shed is scratch built and still needs work. The gantry crane is a 3D print by Owen O'Neill of this parish. I've modified it to fit the location. I found it very hard to work with the print material used on this particular item, but that was mostly my impatience and is no reflection on the kit! 

20230430_225018.jpg

• Like 11
  • WOW! 1

Looks better equipped/organised than the East Wall Rd  depot during the 70s-90s era when most of the yard was full of cripples/redundant stock.

Given the DSER theme how about a spur from the DSER line south of the Dodder into the Ringsend area and a rail connection to the container terminals on the South Bank of the Liffey. 

• Like 3

@Mayner I often pondered a 'Central' Dublin Station spanning the Liffey further down the river, I guess where the Convention Centre is located now. So East Wall, around to the Convention Centre, cross the liffey and joining back up with the DSER at Grand Canal Dock, with a freight spur down to the South Docks.

• Like 5