Tralee and Dingle Light Railway

Rate this topic

Colin R

Hi All

Following on from my Cork Blackrock and Passage thread, I am also trying to find any photos and or extra details about the original 27ft coaches, mainly the brake 3rds, I am told there are no early photos available, but I do find that hard to believe with all the different photographers that visited the line back then.   

14 hours ago, Colin R said:

Hi All

Following on from my Cork Blackrock and Passage thread, I am also trying to find any photos and or extra details about the original 27ft coaches, mainly the brake 3rds, I am told there are no early photos available, but I do find that hard to believe with all the different photographers that visited the line back then.   

Hi Colin,

You probably have these already but just on the off chance you don’t, the first three from Rowland’s book. The last is from New Irish Lines. 
The carriages all seem to have been made by Bristol CW & Company, and I’d be surprised if they did not manufacture similar or identical carriages for lines in Britain? I haven’t gotten the chance yet but I’ve been meaning to look into that company and what other lines they manufactured carriages for as I’d imagine there’d by way more photos for carriages of contemporary lines in the UK. And with all the railway societies, etc. maybe someone somewhere has a lot more photos or drawings of these. 

IMG_9171.jpeg

IMG_9170.jpeg

IMG_9168.jpeg

IMG_9172.png

IMG_9173.jpeg

Edited by Johnny B. Good
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Hi JHB, I can tell you that any records from the Bristol W&C were lost during the war due to a fire in the archive building, which is very sad.

The only source we have come across, so far, is if the railway concerned had asked for drawings or after the railway closed the local council run heritage centre was given them to archive.

The same also goes for the Cork and Muskerry Rolling stock, again not much information is still about that line as well.

Colin   

• Like 1

On 23/7/2023 at 2:33 PM, Colin R said:

Hi JHB, I can tell you that any records from the Bristol W&C were lost during the war due to a fire in the archive building, which is very sad.

The only source we have come across, so far, is if the railway concerned had asked for drawings or after the railway closed the local council run heritage centre was given them to archive.

The same also goes for the Cork and Muskerry Rolling stock, again not much information is still about that line as well.

Colin   

That’s such a shame Colin! That one photo above is from the Bristol museum - maybe they have more related to it? (Sorry I hate taking no for an answer!) 

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1