Looking for Collaboration on a Layout

Rate this topic

Keano30

Hello folks,

I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in collaborating with me to build a modular Model Railway in my attic. I've put together a revised plan of what I wanted to build, and I anticipate this will be a long term project. Needless to say as we build this layout you are more than welcome to run your trains on the layout and I'm open to any ideas on changing the layout. The image here is my second attempt to create something interesting. All comments welcome on the layout if you see anything glaringly obviously wrong with it. 

I'd like to make friends with the same interests as me whilst creating something amazing.

It will be a DCC layout using iTrains to control the layout. I'm relatively new to iTains and the whole model railway hobby. 

I've also create a Youtube channel which I intend to document the whole process, allbeit i haven't posted a new video since Feb this year due to work commitments. I'm off for the month of Jan 2024 and I'll be building the Baseboards during this time. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBoclHgCkcTrUWKW5smRwzg

If this interests you and you'd like to get involved please contact me and we can go from there. 

Oh by the way I'll located in the heart of the country side in South Kilkenny near Junction 10 on the M9.

Regard Diarmuid

Anyrail NewLayout.JPG

Edited by Keano30
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Wow! Looks impressive. Sadly I'm not anywhere near your area but I'll be interested in seeing it develop! Irish prototype or what would it be?

Thank you. Yes it will be based around the 70’s when I was growing up in Kilkenny. I wanted to maybe develop the old Kilkenny station. I was also thinking of creating Waterford Station but alas I don’t think I have the room for that. 

Edited by Keano30
  • Like 5

Diarmuid, that looks like its going to be some project. My only misgiving would be if you don't get a modelling mate, will it be too much for one man? I know it depends on the individual , but I think it is going to take serious dedication and man hours to make progress with it. I would be afraid of being overwhelmed by the sheer scale and then giving up completely. It looks to me to be like something a club would be more into. But hey, maybe that is just me and you have a lot more dedication in you. Either way, the very best of luck with it. Look forward to updates. You better make good use of that empty January😀

• Like 2

Hey Derek I completely agree, it is daunting and hence why I’m asking if anyone out there would be interested in helping out. With my work I will only ever get to work on it in earnest usually end of the year or beginning of the year. And maybe the odd weekend. I know it’s a big project but I am determined to learn and work on it as much as possible. 

if there was a club near me I’d definitely join it but the closest one to me is Wexford and it just too far I’m afraid. 
I’d be willing to set up a club if the interest was there.

Edited by Keano30
  • Like 1

On 31/12/2023 at 3:28 PM, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Wow I was just looking at the layout plan there, it's 8.7 meters long and 3.7 meters wide, that's about the same size as my cottage! 🤯 It's huge lad, you need the A-team 🤭

lol yes the attic is the full length of the house and thankfully no trusses in the way so I’m lucky with the space I’ve got.

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

Posted (edited)

Just purchased all the wood for the new Baseboards today from tjomahoney.ie. These guys are the cheapest I could find. 

14# 4"x1" 4.8m long - Treated wood, its so much cheaper than the planned wood. I'll sand that down so as its nice and smooth. 

7# 18mm OSB 2.22x1.22m, this is a hell of alot cheaper than the Plywood, almost 1/3 the price.

4# 2"x2" treated wood, these will be used for the table legs. 

As some of you may have picked up on in my existing videos, I already have tables in the attic. My problem with these are that I installed them in a slap dash manner and the wood used on the table top was only 6mm plywood. At the time I thought that would suffice, but now I know it needs to be much sturdier, hence why I'm going for 18mm OSB. 

I'd love to know if people would be interested in me creating a time-lapse video of me cutting the wood and making the baseboards?

Edited by Keano30
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Have you enough 2x2 for the legs? There is going to be a lot of weight in the 4x2 and OSB even before the layout, just sayin.🤔

Hmm that's a good question. I'm breaking it down into 1200x610 modules with 4 legs. I think I will have to assess this when I build the first table and see if it feels sturdy enough, but thanks for pointing it out I'll definitely take that into consideration. 

Edited by Keano30

1 hour ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

You have a lot of modules on the list, if you are having 4 legs on each then I don't think you have enough, what length is each leg?

745mm to underside of the Table top. I've allowed 18mm for the table top and 25mm for levelling of the tables at the feet. I have 56 feet in total. From Finished floor level to the top of the table will be 788mm or 31 inches. This is standard height of a kitchen table.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

That's 36 meters of 2x2 just for the large modules lad, I presume you have legs on the smaller modules too?

Oops thanks for pointing that out, I've under ordered the 2x2's lol. I need 6 more of those 4.8m 2x2's. Not to worry I've got a lot to be getting on with now anyway.

Today I'll be clearing the attic in preparation for my delivery, hopefully tomorrow. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

No problem, you have plenty to get on with, have fun and plenty pictures please.

Thanks, yep might even throw in a video of the before and after clearing the attic.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Keano30 said:

Hmm that's a good question. I'm breaking it down into 1200x610 modules with 4 legs. I think I will have to assess this when I build the first table and see if it feels sturdy enough, but thanks for pointing it out I'll definitely take that into consideration. 

Diarmuid, 4 legs on each table will be enough if you put a rail going from leg to leg. 6mm ply would do for this as the ply will be on edge. Maybe 120 high. 6mm will be fairly light . If it was me I would make a 2400mm x 610mm frame with 6 legs, held together by the ply rails , therefore cutting down on the amount of legs/ weight. You could still place 2/ 1200 x 610 modules separately on these. Here is a rough idea of what I mean.  Pardon the quick sketch. The 6mm ply on edge will be extremely strong and you could maybe recycle some from your old baseboards? You said you got treated timber so I am wondering if it is larch you got? If so, this is usually used for garden work and such. Just make sure it is well dried out before taking it into the attic. Also, one last point , with all that weight of timber going into the attic, can the joists up there take the weight?. Although the weight will be spread, if it is just the original 4x2s or 5x2s, you might have a problem.IMG_20240103_193821.thumb.jpg.1514476efe5834a7f2d39bc537cd5f3a.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Derek, the attic will take the weight as it had been prepared to convert into another bedroom prior to me moving in.

As regards the 1200x610 modules I want to keep it that way in case I ever decide to move, it will be easier to get the boards through the access hatch. Also by having them at 1200 it will make the tables more rigid which is what was the problem on my first attempt.  I will of course be putting diagonal bracing on all the tables to firm them up even more. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I’ll be recycling the old tables using the old table plywood for back scenery upstands and the framing for the bracing. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Just thought I'd give you a preview of the plan for the Baseboard Construction. 

1. Short sides will have the DCCConcepts Alignment dowels, and these are represented by the two small indents in the side of the baseboard. I will use the Powered Alignment dowels only at the Bridge / Liftout section

2. The other holes on both long and short sides are for cable runs.

I've also uploaded an updated plan for the Layout which has been inspired by jhb171achill. Thanks to him for the help so far. 

Edited by Keano30
Corrected video