Dcc chip for hornby class55

Rate this question

heirflick

Question

hi lads, brain picking time again! have a few hornby 55's that i will be using power for the sulzer. i stuck a hornby saphire chip into it and it went mad! she runs fine at normal speed but when crawling it will stop then tear off like a bat out of hell then stops then starts the same crap all over again:mad: whats the best chip to use - for slow speeds espically? thanks as always, seamus

16 answers to this question

hi lads, brain picking time again! have a few hornby 55's that i will be using power for the sulzer. i stuck a hornby saphire chip into it and it went mad! she runs fine at normal speed but when crawling it will stop then tear off like a bat out of hell then stops then starts the same crap all over again:mad: whats the best chip to use - for slow speeds espically? thanks as always, seamus

Those Hornby Saphires are junk Seamus in my opinon. I've tried two and I don't like the running qualities of either. Maybe try the Bachmann 3 function 8pin? Cheap and I've not had a problem with any of them yet.

I stuck a cheap Hornby chip into my 55 when I was testing the lights and that on my A-Class, and it ran so well I decided to leave it in. One thing I did notice was that the DCC socket on the Class 55 was faulty so I removed it and hard-wired the chip in place. Heres a short video of the A Class showing its slow-running capabilities.

th_Video0054_zpsa51bb87b.jpg

Check what settings I put in your class 80 Seamus as its the same motor and decoder. If you've any probs give me a phone and I'll talk you through it. :tumbsup:

Anto, i COULD go through the phone and kiss your a**s, but as that is not very appropriate- i will just say thanks! mischievous-grin-smiley-emoticon.gif i checked the cv settings on the 80 and reprogramed the chip on the 55 and the result is excelent:tumbsup:

I stuck a cheap Hornby chip into my 55 when I was testing the lights and that on my A-Class, and it ran so well I decided to leave it in. One thing I did notice was that the DCC socket on the Class 55 was faulty so I removed it and hard-wired the chip in place.

many thanks for the info and the clip Barl. your A class looks the dogs! was it complicated to rig up the lighting?

many thanks for the info and the clip Barl. your A class looks the dogs! was it complicated to rig up the lighting?

I did the lighting a few years ago and it was a bit awkward alright. I have one white and one red LED at each end and fibre optics running into a piece of black heatshrink tubing around the LED, to prevent light bleeding out. It's not a great system but it will do until I get around to replacing them :)

Anto, i COULD go through the phone and kiss your a**s, but as that is not very appropriate- i will just say thanks! [ATTACH=CONFIG]5977[/ATTACH] i checked the cv settings on the 80 and reprogramed the chip on the 55 and the result is excelent:tumbsup:

When you get your backside in gear and call up to me I might show you one or two other little tricks to do with your CV settings. Glad you got it sorted you will find that as time goes on or if the loco is in storage or not used for a couple of months you might have to tweak the settings a little bit on the Hornby motor/Bachmann decoder combo. My advice to you is to wright down what CV settings you have entered on your locos so you can go back and look them up. The only downside to the Bachmann decoders is they have a habit of setting themselves back to default. Other than that they are a good wee decoder for the money.