Dublin tramways

Rate this topic

i was recently at farmleigh bridge in palmerstown and i found a peace of old tram track beside the bridge. i don't think the tram line crossed this bridge though it did get me thinking where exactly did the lines run and what is left of them. does anybody have any old photographs or maps that show the tramway or where it was

• Like 1

2 hours ago, irishrailways52 said:

i was recently at farmleigh bridge in palmerstown and i found a peace of old tram track beside the bridge. i don't think the tram line crossed this bridge though it did get me thinking where exactly did the lines run and what is left of them. does anybody have any old photographs or maps that show the tramway or where it was

May I suggest you  go to this link - GeoHive Map Viewer  - There you can access the 25" Map. This shows  Tramway Lines, Railway Lines etc. I assume your reference to 'Farmleigh' is to the Foot Bridge over the Liffey to the North of Palmerstown!  This was a Pedestrian Bridge, recently refurbished. Might you be asking about the Tramway that ran from O'Connell Bridge to Chapelizod and on to Lucan?

Zooming into the 25" Inch may you can clearly follow the line although, I believe it is the 1913, or thereabouts version.  The final tramline was reopened by Dublin United Tramways (1896) Ltd in 1928 and closed on April 1940.   Route 25 ran to Lucan with Route 26 running to Chapelizod where it crossed the bridge over the Liffey. 

I can recall various sections of the old tram lines still being discovered when the new sewerage system was installed in the late 1940 to early 1950s. I also believe a section of the former Tram Lines was uncovered when resurfacing of the bridge over the Liffey in Chapelizod took place some years ago.

• Informative 1

7 hours ago, Old Blarney said:

May I suggest you  go to this link - GeoHive Map Viewer  - There you can access the 25" Map. This shows  Tramway Lines, Railway Lines etc. I assume your reference to 'Farmleigh' is to the Foot Bridge over the Liffey to the North of Palmerstown!  This was a Pedestrian Bridge, recently refurbished. Might you be asking about the Tramway that ran from O'Connell Bridge to Chapelizod and on to Lucan?

Zooming into the 25" Inch may you can clearly follow the line although, I believe it is the 1913, or thereabouts version.  The final tramline was reopened by Dublin United Tramways (1896) Ltd in 1928 and closed on April 1940.   Route 25 ran to Lucan with Route 26 running to Chapelizod where it crossed the bridge over the Liffey. 

I can recall various sections of the old tram lines still being discovered when the new sewerage system was installed in the late 1940 to early 1950s. I also believe a section of the former Tram Lines was uncovered when resurfacing of the bridge over the Liffey in Chapelizod took place some years ago.

thanks very much. that answers a lot of questions

The Lucan tramway went through several distinct stages, opening as a 3' gauge steam tramway from Conyngham Rd to Lucan and later extended to Leixlip. The tramway was later converted to electric traction on a gauge of 3'6" and the section from the Spa Hotel to Leixlip abandoned (early 1900?) The Lucan tramway was taken over by the DUTC during the 1920s and integrated into the Dublin tramway system with trams running through from the City Centre to Lucan. The Conyhgham Road Bus Depot is on the site of the Dublin & Lucan tram depot and works.

The land on the Palmerstown side of the Farmleigh Bridge was once a sand or gravel pit and used as a landfill for many years.

Rail was often sold locally to farmers and  local businesses after lines closed.  I demolished a building in Killiney in the early 80s in which tramway rails were used a support beams for a concrete roof, I intended but did not use one of the tram rails as a beam in a house renovation in Phibsborough and may have left the rail in the garden.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wexford70 said:

image.thumb.png.52040838dc7c55930943a015615e5f18.png

Small section of tram track on North Brunswick Street. I believe the tram sheds are still in use but now for ambulances. 

Stanley Street is where Dublin Corkporation had their refuse depot and incinerator, going back 120 years ago and more. Track was laid to connect to the North Quays tramline, to move wagons of refuse at night, to a landfill at Fairview. The landfill is now Fairview Park. 

Edited by BSGSV
Typo
  • Like 3