What Ballast

Rate this topic

Der Rechtsanwalt

5 minutes ago, Der Rechtsanwalt said:

Thanks Fellas,

All of the suggestions and advice is most helpful.

I'll post a few pictures when this project is complete.

Looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, Turvinlad said:

DCC Concepts do excellent ballast, in 00 & N, small tubs to extra large size. Newly laid to weathered types.

In general, model ballast tends to be overscale, I find - so N usually looks better on a 00 layout.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Avoid ballast that is quite light in colour as even though it may look like the real life version above in Ballybrophy, it can end up looking like white snow!!

I mixed some darker colours with it to temper that 'snow' effect in Heuston North if that helps.

Best of luck and look forward to the photos 👍👍

20210607_175340.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Horsetan said:

From some of the modern day Irish network photos, it tends to appear that the ballast coverage is so thorough that you can't see the sleepers anymore. 

Freshly laid ballast will cover most of the sleepers but the ballast regulator - currently 703 that I'm aware of (with a new one to be commissioned) - normally removes most of the ballast from the top of the sleepers in the 5-foot. This doesn't always happen and can take some time after relaying. Removing the ballast allows the sleepers to be inspected easier and makes walking the track a bit less uncomfortable! 

• Like 2
  • Informative 1