Jump to content
  • 0

Flying Snail Carriages

Rate this question


Question

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I know that these aren’t going to be completely accurate, and rule 1/looking from a distance is going to greatly apply. What’s your thoughts on respraying colletts or mk1s into flying snail colours to run behind a class 800? I don’t have the money to buy etches so looking for a cheap and more simple alternative to the situation, and I’m definitely not looking for them to be accurate, just want something to look nice and heavy to run behind mine when it arrives. 
 

IMG_1576.png

Edited by James

5 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted

I'd say that LMS gangwayed stock would be a better starting point - much more similar in style to the GSR coaches. Airfix/Dapol available cheaply secondhand or new.

  • Agree 2
  • 0
Posted

Paul has given you good advice. A lot of my GNR coaches are on Airfix or Bachmann chassis, bought when you could get them for a tenner a go here in England.

James, if you're in England, EVERY exhibition has these coaches usually still under £15 or so.

Rummaging in gash wagon boxes on second hand stands is becoming a hobby - looking for suitable wheels and couplings, as these have become horribly pricey!

  • 0
Posted
3 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Paul has given you good advice. A lot of my GNR coaches are on Airfix or Bachmann chassis, bought when you could get them for a tenner a go here in England.

James, if you're in England, EVERY exhibition has these coaches usually still under £15 or so.

Rummaging in gash wagon boxes on second hand stands is becoming a hobby - looking for suitable wheels and couplings, as these have become horribly pricey!

Where can I find that thread please?

im not in England but I’m hoping to maybe go over to a few shows will keep an eye out

  • 0
Posted (edited)

Hi @James

I too have the new IRM 800s on order, and I'm a huge Irish steam fan myself!

I find the Lima Flying Snail coaches and the Bachmann LMS coaches that were made for there Irish sets to be pretty good options. I know they're not 100% authentic, but from the archive footage I've seen, I think you could get away with them quite nicely! That's certainly what I plan to do until some proper RTR coaches are announced, hopefully someday!

I would also recommend trying Dave @WRENNEIRE. I've dealt with him in person, and he's a really friendly chap who is great at helping people find items. He's certainly helped me out in the past!

Also, if you happen to live on the east coast of Ireland, why not try the Bray Model Railway Show on October 18th? There are always lots of lovely people there, and you could have a chat with some of the traders, ask for ideas, or see what rolling stock they have for sale that might do the trick for you.

Hope this helps, and best of luck finding some suitable coaches for your 800s!

Regards,
85 Merlin

Edited by 85 Merlin
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use