point motors for dc

Rate this question

UP6936

Question

Hi there,

I'm planning a new small layout, and want to install point motors this time. However, I'm confused about the whole thing. I have been looking at the peco range on ehattons, but I dont understand what does what. Could someone please advise me on what I need to buy and do? Preferably I would like to use peco motors, as they seem quite cheap and I will be be using their track.

14 answers to this question

Besides motors, is there any other way to move points without the 'hand of god' descending?

Remote mechanical operation is possible. I've done a few operated by rod and Bowden cables, where the angles are awkward. It's even possible to make pairs operate in unison, as shown by this rather poor picture of the underside. The points are operated by a pin going up through the baseboard.

WDJ06Cn.jpg

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but what do you mean you didnt need a switch? I assumed this was how you chanhed point from the control panel?

Ah, I meant that I didn't need a switch at the point, to change-over the frog polarity, as I was using insulfrog points and the points themselves will sitch electrically themselves. If you use electrofrog points, as you are, then you'll need a switch to control the frog polarity. My points, as shown (badly) in the picture, were manually operated, by cables, from levers at the board edge.

It was intended as an answer to "Besides motors, is there any other way to move points without the 'hand of god' descending?"

Electrofrog is the best way to go, locos running at slow speed across the point won't stall. Hard wiring the frog will increase reliability as it won't be relying on the power being transferred from the side of the rail to the side of the blade. Dirt will build up between them and conductivity will be reduced.

Electrofrog is the best way to go, locos running at slow speed across the point won't stall. Hard wiring the frog will increase reliability as it won't be relying on the power being transferred from the side of the rail to the side of the blade. Dirt will build up between them and conductivity will be reduced.

Definitely - and they look better, too.