Waterford to North Wall Sperry Train at Kilkenny

Rate this topic

084 hauled the Waterford to North Wall sperry train today. I caught it in Kilkenny running around and scanning the track. The train was formed of the sperry wagon, two 40ft container flats holding a pair of water tanks from the weedspray train each and unusually, the weedspray coach.

[video=youtube;7M7ysM1V-IQ]

Edited by gm171 kk

great vid there GM! as you say its unusual to see the coach with the sperry....great to see it though:tumbsup:

lovely footage, but thata a weirdsetup indeed. I wonder why the mk 1 van? It was said here the tanks are for brake force,but the vanpuzzles me... r

Haha ttc, i can just see thesame stock movement about to take placeshortly. Looking forward to it.

Thanks lads. It was great to see it alright. I haven't seen any other evidence of the van making up part of the sperry train before. It could have been added for the guard on board seeing as the train had to reverse in Kilkenny and Ballyhale or it could have just been a convenient way to get it up to Dublin.

lovely footage, but thata a weirdsetup indeed. I wonder why the mk 1 van? It was said here the tanks are for brake force,but the vanpuzzles me... r

Haha ttc, i can just see thesame stock movement about to take placeshortly. Looking forward to it.

Ritchie-your a mind reader, there was a fair bit of shunting to do to get the whole formation together....but it was fun all the same

I'd say the reason the weed spray coach 3187 has been added is that from what I could tell from Sean's video, the lads that are monitoring the Sperry wagon via laptops have now been moved to the weed spray coach instead of the rear cab of the loco as has been the case since the Sperry wagon has been introduced-they can now monitor the wagon in comfort without the need to have to move their equipment every time the loco is detached, plus they now have a mess room area and more space in 3187 to move around.