Container flats

Rate this question

201bhoy

Question

12 answers to this question

Mostly 47'6''. I have never seen the 42'6'' wagons used on the DFDS liner but I have counted five being used on one IWT train a few times. If you wanted to model the DFDS/Norfolk liner you should probably go for the 47'6'' wagons but I would go for the 42'6'' otherwise as they can be used on beer trains, BELL liners, general containers and if you wanted to you could also scratchbuild extra removable bodies to mount onto them to convert them to fertilizer or the newer beet wagons. SSM as you probably know will be releasing the 42'6'' wagons soon enough which makes them a better choice too.

Mostly 47'6''. I have never seen the 42'6'' wagons used on the DFDS liner but I have counted five being used on one IWT train a few times. If you wanted to model the DFDS/Norfolk liner you should probably go for the 47'6'' wagons but I would go for the 42'6'' otherwise as they can be used on beer trains, BELL liners, general containers and if you wanted to you could also scratchbuild extra removable bodies to mount onto them to convert them to fertilizer or the newer beet wagons. SSM as you probably know will be releasing the 42'6'' wagons soon enough which makes them a better choice too.

Thanks very much for the info! Are the 42'6" wagons rarely used these days then? Where are most of them? Limerick?

Thanks very much for the info! Are the 42'6" wagons rarely used these days then? Where are most of them? Limerick?
They are used on the sperry and weedspray trains. There are five 42'6'' wagons in this IWT liner seen at 8:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4biVwkmwE_0

I'm not too sure about the location of the rest of them. I think there are some in Mallow on a siding that is now disconnected or maybe they have been cut up.

They are used on the sperry and weedspray trains. There are five 42'6'' wagons in this IWT liner seen at 8:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4biVwkmwE_0

I'm not too sure about the location of the rest of them. I think there are some in Mallow on a siding that is now disconnected or maybe they have been cut up.

Brilliant! I was planning to get the 47' ones if they were used on the IWT, but the 42' ones are a lot more versatile...

The 42'9" flats are very versatile and you should really focus on them. Reason is you can add stuff to them, swap it out, to create different formations without needing hundreds of bases.

- Donelli Cranes and loads of other Per Way uses.

- Fertiliser Bodies

- 40' Containers

- Spoil Wagons

- Sperry Wagon

- Weedspray Bases

- Coal Wagons

- NIR Ballast Wagons (I kid you not)

- Bell Liners

- Guinness

- Bogie Carriers

- Wheelset Cradles

- Cable Trains

Isn't it kind of moot anyway, since SSM are producing the 42'9" soon, and the 47'6 is probably far off, so you've only one option.

Or have you a secret stash you're not tellin uz about? R

The 42'9" flats are very versatile and you should really focus on them. Reason is you can add stuff to them, swap it out, to create different formations without needing hundreds of bases.

- Donelli Cranes and loads of other Per Way uses.

- Fertiliser Bodies

- 40' Containers

- Spoil Wagons

- Sperry Wagon

- Weedspray Bases

- Coal Wagons

- NIR Ballast Wagons (I kid you not)

- Bell Liners

- Guinness

- Bogie Carriers

- Wheelset Cradles

- Cable Trains

Isn't it kind of moot anyway, since SSM are producing the 42'9" soon, and the 47'6 is probably far off, so you've only one option.

Or have you a secret stash you're not tellin uz about? R

That's some list there! Irish Freight Models do both types, and HiddenAgenda does some lovely 47'6" flats :)

Wow really,=)) yeah that should do it alright. I have heard stories of rails being greased up to stall freight trains so they can be lightened of their loads.

Heard a tall tale once about something similar happening around inchicore to pooch kegs of guinness from the liners using grappling hooks from a nearby bridge, and incidents declined dramatically when a rope and arm (minus owner) were discovered hopping along the ballast whilst pulling into it's destination one afternoon.

Heard a tall tale once about something similar happening around inchicore to pooch kegs of guinness from the liners using grappling hooks from a nearby bridge, and incidents declined dramatically when a rope and arm (minus owner) were discovered hopping along the ballast whilst pulling into it's destination one afternoon.

Youch! ASBO, 6 months in the 'Joy or armloss? It's clear which one would prove more effective....