Wagon information wanted

Rate this question

iarnrod

Question

I am currently building a database of Irish wagons from the 'modern' wagons built by CIE in the 1960's and 1970's to the present day. If I can source sufficient information, this may lead to a future publication on the subject. I am looking for information such as withdrawal dates, modifications carried out over the years, such as converting wagons for PW use, like the rail carrier wagons, electrification wagons etc.

Items such as drawings, photos or anything wagon related which may assist in compiling information is especially welcome. Feel free to post here, pm me through the forum, or email me at nruxton@gmail.com.

I have contacted Inchicore to see what help, if any, they can give and am awaiting a reply, but it will become apparent in the next month or two if this project will take off or not, based on the amount of information available, or willing to be shared. Thanks in advance.

10 answers to this question

There was a substantial thread over on irishrailwaynews with such content, that someone had put an enormous amount of work into. Pretty much info on every freight wagon ever, provided you knew the wagon you were looking for. I believe the same chap is a member here, so may be able to help. Would hate to think it might go like our last "collaboration project" :P

Thanks Richie. I'm aware of that thread on IRN. Provides some good info alright but would need a lot more info than that if this is to go anywhere other than on my ipad. Thought you had given up on the other 'project' as we kinda lost contact with each other on it.

I am currently building a database of Irish wagons from the 'modern' wagons built by CIE in the 1960's and 1970's to the present day. If I can source sufficient information, this may lead to a future publication on the subject. I am looking for information such as withdrawal dates, modifications carried out over the years, such as converting wagons for PW use, like the rail carrier wagons, electrification wagons etc.

Items such as drawings, photos or anything wagon related which may assist in compiling information is especially welcome. Feel free to post here, pm me through the forum, or email me at nruxton@gmail.com.

I have contacted Inchicore to see what help, if any, they can give and am awaiting a reply, but it will become apparent in the next month or two if this project will take off or not, based on the amount of information available, or willing to be shared. Thanks in advance.

A publication on this subject would be very interesting and welcome. So here's hoping you succeed in getting as much information as possible! :tumbsup:

I found the CMEs Office at Inchacore pretty good in terms of drawings but not much help in terms of general information. The 3rd edition Doyle & Hirch Locomotives and Rolling Stock of CIE & NIR probably has the most accurate details as no new wagons were built after the introduction of the Shale Wagons in the early 80s

Thanks John. I found out earlier that Irish Rail recently sent a quantity of material to the IRRS relating to wagons. This is possibly material from the Drawing Office in Limerick which closed a couple of years ago. However, I understand this will take years to sort through and categorise, and is therefore not available at present. I am waiting for confirmation from IRRS archivist who has been in touch with me as to what material, if any, they posess. I am still waiting to hear back from the Irish Rail Heritage Officer.....almost two weeks now since I wrote to him, asking if such information was available. Should I be contacting someone else in Inchicore?

My plan is to provide a more detailed and up to date version of Doyle's book. Maybe even backtrack to any wagons built since when CIE was formed. Problem is the availability of information, and that will be the make or break for the project, as there is no point just doing a reformat of Doyle's book. I could be wrong but my research so far possibly suggests that Doyle's book is missing certain wagon series or types. If I can get sufficient information, then the next phase would be sourcing photos and possibly getting drawings done up to illustrate different liveries and markings that wagons carried over the years. Maybe even scale drawings which would benefit modellers.

Response so far has been a bit disappointing, but I will continue to dig for information until all the sources on my list have dried up.

Edited by iarnrod

Thanks John. I found out earlier that Irish Rail recently sent a quantity of material to the IRRS relating to wagons. This is possibly material from the Drawing Office in Limerick which closed a couple of years ago. However, I understand this will take years to sort through and categorise, and is therefore not available at present. I am waiting for confirmation from IRRS archivist who has been in touch with me as to what material, if any, they posess. I am still waiting to hear back from the Irish Rail Heritage Officer.....almost two weeks now since I wrote to him, asking if such information was available. Should I be contacting someone else in Inchicore?

My plan is to provide a more detailed and up to date version of Doyle's book. Maybe even backtrack to any wagons built since when CIE was formed. Problem is the availability of information, and that will be the make or break for the project, as there is no point just doing a reformat of Doyle's book. I could be wrong but my research so far possibly suggests that Doyle's book is missing certain wagon series or types. If I can get sufficient information, then the next phase would be sourcing photos and possibly getting drawings done up to illustrate different liveries and markings that wagons carried over the years. Maybe even scale drawings which would benefit modellers.

Response so far has been a bit disappointing, but I will continue to dig for information until all the sources on my list have dried up.

Don't forget that time is money even with CIE, the role of the Heritage Officer is mainly to allow IE to operate a modern railway without running foul of Councils and an Taisce for demolishing/modifying listed buildings historically significant infrastructure.

I found writing to the Chief Mechanical Engineers Office and requesting specific drawings is the most effective. I couple of years ago I was surprised to receive an e-mail from Phil Vestry to say he had instructed the Drawing Office to do a search, they came up with some excellent drawings and photos of the Park Royals and Laminates.

The Working Timetables in the 80s anyway had a list of wagon series and types, IRRS and the preservation groups may have copies of WTT for sale