Paint color code

Rate this question

mmie353

Question

Please advise, I am thinking about building a layout as I do have some Irish RTR models. I would like to be able to get some MK4's but I do not know what are the painting codes if I try it. It will be a while before I will attempt to do it. If someone could please advise what color codes are used to make a model of a MK4 please advise. I do live in the US so I will be trying to get stuff locally here.

If someone could advise of other color codes used by Irish Railways, Supertrain, etc I would really appreciate that as well.

7 answers to this question

Hi and welcome mmie353 to the site, I'm in the very same position as yourself right now, but don't worry,there'rs lots of help on here,good & bad, the letters RAL will be mentioned in paint colors for modelling, they were said to me on Sunday when I asked about painting. In the meantime, all the best in your plans, btw, dust & abuse is free :-bd

Thanks for the replies from ye both, i appreciate it. Is there a color code for any freight stock like the Irish Cement and Ammoina tanks? Also there are the Guinness ones as well. I would like to try the freight first to get used to spraying. I am going to be a while before I get to this as buying a house, with the space for a layout is what I am working on now

Welcome mmie. Colour codes for freight are unknown but JHBAchill of this parish tends to have the skinny on any peculiarities with chassis etc. So if you have a particular question, bang it up here. It usually causes a bit of chat and a few photos :-)

As for ammonias, it's chalk white for the base, guinness just dull silver, and cements can be ivory or orange, freight wagons a blend of red and brown to make bauxite, or battleship grey for other goods wagons. I'm leaving this purposely vague as anything on irish rail was always heavily coated with dirt, brake dust, clag, and grime, so any colour you put on the wagons you work on is secondary.

Best of luck with the house purchase, and also with working on freight. Have a look at popeye,scahalane, and nelsons workbenches for some freight inspiration!

Richie.

Thanks Glenderg, David and Burnthebox for all posts in regards to my question, yes I am needing a lot of luck with houses as it is not working out so well as I had hoped, we will have to see what happens there.

My wife actually has said ok to getting a house with a layout in mind. All I need is the house and some extra cash and off we go.

Thanks again to everyone,

mmie353

You're probably already aware of it, but just in case, British Mk.4's (which are available rtr) and Irish Mk.4's (which aren't) were built by different companies and simply repainting a British one won't give you an accurate representation of an Irish one.

Hi BSGSV, I know that is the case but they are the closest that are used to model on the Irish MK 4 models that are available as RTR? Just trying to keep costs down when I get to the stage of doing this. I was kinda hoping that Murphy Models would do an RTR run of them but nothing so far. I do see that D&M offer RTR at the moment. When the time comes and if they are still available, I may just buy some of them, I know that it would take a lot of time and effort to get a correct model for a MK 4. Actually, a question for D&M, would you ship to the US? If so, I assume that EU taxes would not be deducted when it comes to shipping outside the EU? If that is the case, I may arrange to have them ship to an Irish address and pick them up when I get back home for a holiday.

I would like to be able to spray and the cement bubbles I think is the right way to start rather than going in at the deep end and trying to get a MK 4 ready.

Again, I do appreciate any info that everyone that has posted so far here. I find all information useful. I am sorry that I missed out on Graham's Toymaster on the run for the first of the 2700 DMU model. Not in a position at the moment to get the next run neither that is nearly sold out going by the website :-(

MMIE353