IE Station colour change

Rate this question

Ballinacraig

Question

8 answers to this question

I think it was between 2006 and 2007, I recall in 2007 during the IRRS tour to Rosslare, the canopies and name boards in Connolly were painted grey.

Thanks Eiretrains. I am modelling a station at the minute and I am going with the green and want to make sure I have got the dating correct.

Would you know what the historical colours were? I remember Irish Rail going with dark and light blue for suburban stations about 1987, dark green for mainline stations, and two tone green for the DART, probably about 1984; and I remember that in the 70s all stations were grey with some bits picked out in black and white. And I remember Malahide having some old GNR ground level nameboards in the flowerbeds that were red on a white background; but what went before?

Alan

the blood and custard scheme spattered about the network mostly on the MGWR for a bit, seen in carrick on shannon and longford in Ernie Bracks collection on flickr. Brunswick green and cream seem to have been a general pattern onthe GNRI both north and south for manys a year post war, supplemented with a baby poo green in the sixties. Photos of laytown in its heyday show this lighter palette.

Places like limerick junction havent ever gone through any major overhaul of colours historically. Main plaster finish buildings were cream/white wash lime as budget dictated, and various shades of grey and green were swapped over and back over the years on timberwork. Decorative quoins on corners were either picked it out in limestone/gunsmoke blue/grey or gloss black, but this was usually short lived.

I'll try and get photos up tomorrow that show some of the historical oddities!

CDRJC: light green on paintwork timber, eg window frames; walks Indian red and deep cream.

MGWR: red and cream

GSR: dark green and dark cream, often separated by a black line about an inch thick

CIE: until the 1960s, generally much the same as GSR, but as mentioned from the very early 60s red and cream schemes appeared here and there, including West Cork. Amiens Street got light blue at one stage, and various one-offs were to be seen around Dublin. After that, two-tone grey and white was universal, as also mentioned above. IE days brought a dark green with a bluish tint, also the two tone blue and red referred to; latterly the grey and cream (which I must say I personally think us awful, but that's only my opinion!)...

GNR: very similar to GSR internally (green and cream), but externally shades of browns and red on occasion; also green like GSR. The GNR painted station signs variously in red on a white background, black on a yellow background (this being continued by the UTA and spread to ex-NCC and Bangor line), and white on a black background.

White lettering on black backgrounds seems to have been standard on a lot of railways. The GNR had it in early says, and the GSR used it mostly, though Fenit at least was black on white.

The MGWR had navy blue signs with white lettering, as did the WLWR.

The BCDR had stations painted as now accurately reproduced on the DCDR. Fencing was often silver looking as it was painted (even if wooden) with the same sort of galvanised silvery grey paint as used on bridges!