GNR 0-6-2 N2 (Hornby #1570)

Rate this question

DiveController

Question

Hi Folks,

I'm considering using this loco to go run with some Woolies and maybe NCC Jinty. Want to equip it with DCC and got some good advice from another thread on the DCC installs on the Woolie and NCC.

Was this loco ever actually used up north or only in Scotland/LNER East Coast Mainline. Only reference I have is Hornby's own website which is not overly informative.

If anyone has it, does it run pretty well? I think it have a 5-pole motor and I think the chassis is isolated and DCC-equipable.

Thanks,

Kevin

8 answers to this question

Hi Folks,

I'm considering using this loco to go run with some Woolies and maybe NCC Jinty. Want to equip it with DCC and got some good advice from another thread on the DCC installs on the Woolie and NCC.

Was this loco ever actually used up north or only in Scotland/LNER East Coast Mainline. Only reference I have is Hornby's own website which is not overly informative.

If anyone has it, does it run pretty well? I think it have a 5-pole motor and I think the chassis is isolated and DCC-equipable.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin. There was a Great Northern Railway in the UK too, pre LNER. Could this be where you're getting mixed up?

Hi Warbonnet,

That was my impression that this was a GNR (UK) rather than a GNR(I) loco and possibly never ran "here" i.e. there, I'm not in Ireland anymore :-(

Correct Kevin, the N2s never ran in Ireland. The Great Northern Railway Ireland were inspired by the British one when it came to liveries early on but then adopted their own identity with the famous pale blue. The British GNR was amalgamated with other companies to form the LNER in 1923. As far as I know both Great Northerns were not linked.

To complicate it further there was a Great Northern in the USA too. Their GM locos wore a livery not too dissimilar to what we became used to here! http://www.gngoat.org/annual_report_51.jpg