NCE Pro Cab - Mapping functions - Any users here?

Rate this question

Noel

Question

Hi Guys.

If there are any NCE Pro Cab users on here you may be able to point me on the right direction.

Background: I'm new to this system, but so far it seems if I want to access decoder functions above the first ten (0-9), with the Pro Cab I have to use the 'option' button as a sort of shift key to access function 10-19. Unlike the Power Cab which uses the shift key. This is a awkward when trying to regularly use functions 18 & 19, too many button presses.

Here's the question: With Pro Cab is it possible to reassign or map functions to other keys?

For example so I could activate functions 18 or 19 by pressing only one key if I can map cab buttons to other functions?

Edited by Noel

12 answers to this question

OK no NCE Pro Cab users around for past 24hr, but . . .

I've been wondering if I'm going about this the wrong way, should I be looking at reprogramming the decoder to remap functions above 9 (i.e. 10-19) to lower FN values (e.g. 5-9). I'm trying to get the MM 071 sound chip FN 18 & 19 on direct key access so need to map them to say FN 8 & 9?

PS: does anybody know if the MM 071 sound decoder (i.e. LokSound V4.0) can be programmed to dim the cab light. It's a bit stark.

OK no NCE Pro Cab users around for past 24hr, but . . .

I've been wondering if I'm going about this the wrong way, should I be looking at reprogramming the decoder to remap functions above 9 (i.e. 10-19) to lower FN values (e.g. 5-9). I'm trying to get the MM 071 sound chip FN 18 & 19 on direct key access so need to map them to say FN 8 & 9?

PS: does anybody know if the MM 071 sound decoder (i.e. LokSound V4.0) can be programmed to dim the cab light. It's a bit stark.

Noel,

The various sound functions can all be remapped to different keys. I have had it done by the suppliers before myself, but I'm not 100% sure of the process.

The Loksound V4 manual explains it but it takes a while to get your head around. The full V4 manual is here - http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-decoders/

Any of the light functions can adjusted, as far as I remember the cab lights are on functions outputs 5 and 6. According to the Loksound manual the brightness on these outputs is controlled by CV's 294 and 302. You can just experiment with values of between 0-255 until you get the level you like.

Hope that helps!

Have just checked out one of my 071s. CV294 controls the brightness of the cab at the radiator end. CV 302 controls the other end. A value between 1 & 31 is all that is required. The default value is 31. If the NCE Pro Cab supports POM, then by switching on a cab light, going to POM and entering a new value for the CV, you will see the difference immediately. Then just enter the same value for the other end. Job done. As irishthump says, it is well worth downloading the V4 manual, and then try to get your head round it.

The loksound should let you enter a value from zero to 31 for CV 278/CV 286 for Aux 1 and Aux 2 brightness

A delayed thank you BK. I had forgotten where this really useful answer was. I've read the manuals twice when you originally posted, but I find unless I summaries and write down these tips they get lost. Have been building laminated crib cards for useful CVs for LokSound, Zimo, Lenz and Bachmann. DCC seems to need extended and revised standard focusing on usability, interface and standards for use of functions given we are now in the sound era. 9 FN buttons simply isn't enough (e.g. manual notching on MM0071 sound chip is effectively unusable because it is FN 18 & 19).

A delayed thank you BK. I had forgotten where this really useful answer was. I've read the manuals twice when you originally posted, but I find unless I summaries and write down these tips they get lost. Have been building laminated crib cards for useful CVs for LokSound, Zimo, Lenz and Bachmann. DCC seems to need extended and revised standard focusing on usability, interface and standards for use of functions given we are now in the sound era. 9 FN buttons simply isn't enough (e.g. manual notching on MM0071 sound chip is effectively unusable because it is FN 18 & 19).

I have to agree! That's why I move notching to keys 4and 5.

It's a breeze with the Lokprogrammer but to do it with CV's you need to know which soundslot controls each sound.

If you like I can give you a list of the soundslots, but you'll have to consult the manual for the actual remapping process.

It's in the manual on page 56 but it uses indexed CV's. To be honest the real problem with the manual is the language used!

I tried searching the web before about this but to be honest nobody seems to have gotten their head around it and they all just suggest buying a Lokprogrammer!

Anyway, here's a screen capture from the Lokprogrammer software, the left box lists all the slots for the 071 file.

7e98ecca-bb05-4a50-95fd-3669ef7be554_zps05e1053c.jpg

Thanks Graham, do you know of there is an easy way to do it using CVs or JMRI? I read the manual two months ago from cover to cover, but found the section on function mapping unclear.

Sorry, forgot to mention that I don't use JMRI myself but I've seen threads that say function remapping is quite simple with DecoderPro.