NIR blue

Rate this question

Dhu Varren

Question

Can anyone suggest a proprietary paint colour for the NIR light blue as applied to the 101 Hunslet and 104 MV Class locos. I have been using the Revell 52 dark blue for the 'Bumble Bee' InterCity livery, which is an exact match for the MM NIR dark blue. So far, I have not found a suitable shade of paint for the earlier light blue.

10 answers to this question

Many thanks for that info Kirley, but I was already aware of it, and I have a number of their Irish colours already. What I was after was a colour, or mix of colours, that would be readily available locally, like Humbrol, Revell, Tamiya etc. I currently use Revell 52 for NIR dark blue, 50/50 Revell 30 + 65 for IR orange, and 50/50 Humbrol 3 + 195 for UTA green. All I need now is NIR light blue, which I don't have anything to match the colour to, and photographs vary too much to be of any use.

My apologies for the delay in responding, but I have been away for nearly two weeks.

Really appreciate your responses, Glenderg and River Roe. Unfortunately, I have already tried both those colours, and neither of them looks right to me, although my preference would be the Revell No 50. Looks like I am going to have to go for some Precision paint, and match up some Humbrol/Revell from that.

At last I have found a shade of blue that I think looks right. It is a very close match to Ford Monza Blue, thanks 33lima for that suggestion. What a job getting there though. The first option was to obtain some Precision Paints NIR light blue, but unfortunately carriage charges ruled that out at £15 for a tin of paint!. Followed up the Ford Monza Blue suggestion, but the local Ford dealer denied that the colour even existed. Managed to source a small spray can online, with FREE carriage, which arrived as Vauxhall Mustard Yellow. A quick message to the supplier, and the correct can was despatched. Liked the colour but not the paint. Sat down and experimented with different mixes of Revell 50 and 52. Finally settled on 3 parts 50, and two parts 52, the result being very close to the Monza Blue, and best of all, the paint is readily available at the local toy/model shop.

Thanks again to all those who took the time to respond, and whose input was very helpful.