Modelshop Belfast

Rate this topic

oneillpierce

I just want to record my sadness that "The Model Shop" has disappeared from the Belfast streets.

The original shop was a matter of a hundred yards from the front door of "Inst", where I received my secondary education and their front window was compulsory viewing. In those days, it was the place to choose that special kit to ask for for Christmas (the Revell "Missouri" one year) or another tank kit - yes Panzers then too Glenderg!.

Once Hornby went two rail, the shop was one source of some of my railway bits. A department store nearby had a good model section and they got a some of my (meagre) trade too. But, the very existence of the Model Shop kept my modelling interest alive, so it's sad to see it "disappear". Getting my Provincial Wagons into the shop some years ago completed a circle begun fifty years previously.

I hope Gareth and Co find their feet in the new guise and that we soon see a flow of the good things we know they can produce.

I understand that the shop is still up and trading from an 'off high street' depot. I've always found Gareth excellent to deal with and only spoke to him a week or so ago. I don't see where the panic is coming from here - if you are waiting for custom work, just contact the store?

The problem here would appear to be the lack of, or very poor communication. Not hearing anything about an order, and not being able to get a response from the retailer can be extremely annoying and frustrating. A quick update on the status of an order is not much to ask, after all, the customer does not have a crystal ball. Even the website is not kept up to date. Orders I placed and received years ago are still showing as "order pending"

Like others in this thread, I have found Gareth, as a person, very friendly and helpful, but unfortunately his lack of communication lets him down.