Separating Lima Body from Undercarriage

Rate this question

burnthebox

Question

13 answers to this question

Wait, heres a proper explanation. You'll need a flat headed screwdriver and a couple of flat items like two rulers.

DSCF8973.jpg

Take corridor connection plates off at either end using thumbnail at either top or bottom.

DSCF8974.jpg

DSCF8975.jpg

insert screwdriver into end windows and gently push inward. This makes the roof at that joint open slightly.

DSCF8976.jpg

Insert a thin ruler (non scratchy version) and run along the coach separating any glue/varnish/dirt to the far end of the coach.

DSCF8979.jpg

DSCF8980.jpg

Repeat on the other side, leaving the other ruler in place.

DSCF8981.jpg

Once the glass and roof have been separated, move the rulers along each side, lifting the roof gently as you go.

DSCF8982.jpg

About half way down the entire roof and glazing section will be removable - don't force it.

DSCF8983.jpg

Remove internal seating.

DSCF8984.jpg

There are several thick plastic tabs either side beneath the seating - 7 each side I think. Note non-photoshopped arrows.

DSCF8985.jpg

Using a screwdriver, gently force the corner one out - plastic is brittle, so take care.

DSCF8986.jpg

Move along the same side of the coach and pop the central one. Lastly do the one on the corner, same side. The underframe will pop out, and you can remove it.

DSCF8987.jpg

Done.

DSCF8988.jpg

Stout optional, and that's where I return to. Richie.

Edited by Glenderg

Wait, heres a proper explanation.

Take corridor connection plates off at either end using thumbnail at either top or bottom.

insert screwdriver into end windows and gently push inward. This makes the roof at that joint open slightly.

Insert a thin ruler (non scratchy version) and run along the coach separating any glue/varnish/dirt to the far end of the coach.

Repeat on the other side, leaving the other ruler in place.

Once the glass and roof have been separated, move the rulers along each side, lifting the roof gently as you go.

About half way down the entire roof and glazing section will be removable - don't force it.

Remove internal seating and weight bar at the bottom. There are several thick plastic tabs either side beneath the seating - 7 each side I think. Using a screwdriver, gently force the corner one out - plastic is brittle, so take care.

Move along the same side of the coach and pop the central one. Lastly do the one on the corner, same side. The underframe will pop out, and you can remove it.

I'm not doing this at all but I think there should be a sticky for how to do that! Great explanation for those who have never done it!

Hi & many thanks Glenderg for that, & no I do'nt have the roof off, & after carefully reading those instructions, nothing wrong with any part of it, it's just lately I'm a bit of a hamfist when it comes to dismantling something I may one day I hope get some pleasure out of, in the meantime, it'll sit with the other items for some work, :-bd

Glenderg, got to hand it to you, you certainly have the magic touch, so what I'm prepared to do, as if I was ever prepared, is get out a Lima ( BR ) & take it apart,before I attempt the Lima Irish, thanks again, & I will let you know the results, good or bad, :-bd

Edited by burnthebox

Glenderg, got to hand it to you, you certainly have the magic touch, so what I'm prepared to do, as if I was ever prepared, is get out a Lima ( BR ) & take it apart,before I attempt the Lima Irish, thanks again, & I will let you know the results, good or bad, :-bd

Don't forget to have a Guiness to hand. It's an essential lubricant to help you ease everything apart;)

More than welcome Burn. Lima irish and br are the same, and if you get the "fear" sell it to wrenn instead.

I might do a tut on how to paint a mk3 proper like if theres interest? Bells and whistles version? R

More than welcome Burn. Lima irish and br are the same' date=' and if you get the "fear" sell it to wrenn instead. I might do a tut on how to paint a mk3 proper like if theres interest? Bells and whistles version? R[/quote']

If you have time that would be great!! I've a similar project to do in the new year. Thanks Richie

More than welcome Burn. Lima irish and br are the same, and if you get the "fear" sell it to wrenn instead.

I might do a tut on how to paint a mk3 proper like if theres interest? Bells and whistles version? R

I'd be delighted if you did aswell Glenderg. I tried one recently (i was darkening the orange livery on a IE Lima Restaurant car) using a spray can as i don't have an airbrush, it came out alright but the stripes broke my heart using transfers.i would be interested to see how you would do it :D

Tried to separate the body on a Lima coach today, got the gangway ends off no bother but when i tried pushing on the glazing (on the doors) & it cracked. I used a flathead screwdriver & started pushing gently but it wouldn't budge so tried a little bit harder. It cracked off before there was even any sign of it loosening!

Have i missed something?