BabyGM

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you give more detail?

You should be feeding power to the 'single' end of the point only.

Unless you've adjusted to point itself powering the frog separately will cause a short.

Yes, I wired the 'single end of the point , I've done no adjusting to the point

So is it probably just that I need to swap the motor/switch wires around

In the photo, you can see the longish wire coming to the bottom on the left - thats the frog feed.

The two small joiners on the right connect the frog to the rails, when you are letting the point blades power the frog.

If you are switching the frog - these need to be cut to isolate the frog, otherwise you create a short

Here is a modified point

Insulfrog_modified_under.jpg

You can see the two joiners have been cut, and a link soldered in, to connect the stock and closure rails.

This method ensures that the closure rails are always powered by the connected stock rail and the frog polarity is then set correctly by the switch.

This ensures that the power doesn't have to worry about the point blades being clean, etc, and the point should give many many years of trouble free service (you can even fully paint and weather the point blades' sides)

Here is a modified point

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5822[/ATTACH]

You can see the two joiners have been cut, and a link soldered in, to connect the stock and closure rails.

This method ensures that the closure rails are always powered by the connected stock rail and the frog polarity is then set correctly by the switch.

This ensures that the power doesn't have to worry about the point blades being clean, etc, and the point should give many many years of trouble free service (you can even fully paint and weather the point blades' sides)

Well explained! Ill be doing that soon to mine. I have 20 points to modify

• 2 months later...

I've decided that after about 8 months of the layout moving nowhere it is time to dismantle it, because even if I got the point motors to work there are too many flaws in the track laying for trains to operate properly

So to substitute the old layout I am going to build a small 6 by 3 layout for exhibitions with less complicated wiring

I'll start building the layout as soon as funds rise high enough to get track and scenery

I will start a new thread to facilitate the new layout

Guest hidden-agenda

Good to see your planning another lay out and don't throw anything out keep it I case you need it even if you think its broke (might be fixable ). The experience you have gained will stand you well in the next job.

While I haven't read all the comments, for what it is worth I would certainly suggest reading up on baseboards and layout design in general. Iain Rice's books are all excellent, but 'Finescale in Small Spaces' goes into a lot of detail about planning, baseboards etc. Doing a small layout and treating it as gaining experience is far better than launching into something too big and finding it doesn't work out. Terminus - fiddle yard, or even just a small diorama can be just as satisfying, while a small project can be finished quickly too and could even be planned to be part of a larger project later on. Check out my current project - though 7mm scale, it is only 12 feet long, with a 4 foot fiddle yard, about 9 feet in total in 4mm scale.