E Class Liveries

Rate this topic

roxyguy

Black with snail is a livery that nothing ever carried.

The E421 class went into traffic in Black and Tan with CIE roundel, and remained that way, or black with white flashes on the ends all their lives. They carried no other livery ever.

The earlier E401 class, which is depicted in the cartoon, entered traffic in all silver (roof and chassis included, not dark grey chassis as depicted above). Buffer beams were red and numerals on cab sides were pale green (not black as depicted above). No logos were carried. Thus, no E class ever carried a snail. These earlier locos were eventually painted either black'n'tan or black, and like the 421 class remained thus until withdrawal.

I agree with you - both those above look quite well, but neither have any basis in reality.

Edited by jhb171achill

Black with snail is a livery that nothing ever carried.

The E421 class went into traffic in Black and Tan with CIE roundel, and remained that way, or black with white flashes on the ends all their lives. They carried no other livery ever.

The earlier E401 class, which is depicted in the cartoon, entered traffic in all silver (roof and chassis included, not dark grey chassis as depicted above). Buffer beams were red and numerals on cab sides were pale green (not black as depicted above). No logos were carried. Thus, no E class ever carried a snail. These earlier locos were eventually painted either black'n'tan or black, and like the 421 class remained thus until withdrawal.

I agree with you - both those above look quite well, but neither have any basis in reality.

Thanks for the accurate info. I have done one from shapeways in black before. Might try one of these liveries though - just for fun!

Hi, thanks for that. Have never seem that before, reminds me of the NR red livery. Looks like tuam?? Can you please enlighten me, what was west rail??

Thanks.

Hi, thanks for that. Have never seem that before, reminds me of the NR red livery. Looks like tuam?? Can you please enlighten me, what was west rail??

Thanks.

Westrail was a preservation group which was based in Tuam and ran railtours from there during the 1980s and early '90s. There's a good account of the group's history here: http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/1933/Westrail-Adventure

Westrail was a preservation group which was based in Tuam and ran railtours from there during the 1980s and early '90s. There's a good account of the group's history here: http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/1933/Westrail-Adventure

Thanks for that, wasn't aware that this group had existed. Fantastic pictures. Gives me ideas to do a maroon E class with blood and custard coaches like the pics:)