Victoria Railways (Australia) Walker railcar

Rate this topic

Look familiar?

6105885634_b7570f1eee_b.jpg

24RM Wedderburn by Rail Tourist Association, on Flickr

It looks very much like a cross between the SL&NCR's railcar 'B' and the later railcars built for the County Donegal and West Clare...

A limited edition HO scale model is available if you're flush: http://www.precisionscalemodels.com.au/models/v-r-%E2%80%9Cwalker%E2%80%9D-rail-motor-102153-h-p-diesel-rail-car-trailer/

I believe there were some of those (Ozzieland had quite a few) still in traffic well into the 1980s.

At least one preserved in full working order.

Technically, as well as outwardly, they are indeed exactly that: a cross between the CDR and the SLNCR. They could even have been 4ft 1.5 inches gauge..... (half way between 5 ft 3 and 3ft....all right, I'll go home now.)

Edited by jhb171achill

I believe there were some of those (Ozzieland had quite a few) still in traffic well into the 1980s.

At least one preserved in full working order.

Technically, as well as outwardly, they are indeed exactly that: a cross between the CDR and the SLNCR. They could even have been 4ft 1.5 inches gauge..... (half way between 5 ft 3 and 3ft....all right, I'll go home now.)

Victoria Railways also had double ended 280hp Walker units similar to GNR railcars F&G http://www.auscisionmodels.com.au/280HP%20Walker%20Rail%20Car%20Page.htm

The Walkers appear to have been nicknamed "A room & a bath" and "Two rooms & a bath" .

Victoria Railways were originally built to the Irish 5'3" gauge and pretty much standardised on EMD power from the early 50s