Decoder identification by Manufaturer ID + VER

Rate this question

Noel

Question

Hi Folks

Could anybody please direct me to website which might allow me to identify decoders by their manufacturer ID "plus" their decoder version number. I know about the NMRA manufacturer list http://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/appendix_a2c_s-9.2.2.pdf I can get both the ID and VER numbers using the programming track for locos that have unknown decoders.

But I cannot find any resource that maps decoder version numbers to specific decoder products.

I know basic Bachmann decoders (rebadged ESU lokpilot basic) are ID 151, but can't find which versions 088 or 089 map to 36-553 and 36-554 decoder products. Similarly the later Bachmann decoders (rebadged soundtrax) are ID 141, but not sure if version 081 is the 36-557 decoder. Likewise it would be nice to be able to identify Hornby decoder products.

Many thanks

Noel

If you are serious about going DCC, then unless price is a major concern, from a long term point of view, don't even consider the Hornby Select or Elite systems. The Select is so basic, it is a train set controller. The Elite is marginally better, but a Lenz or NCE system is preferable. I have found the Lenz system works best for European railways, whereas the NCE and Digitrax systems are more suited to American railways. I have no experience with Gaugemaster so I cannot comment on that system. Nigel Burkin, who has written many articles and books on DCC control systems, recommends the Lenz LH100 controller and system. Do not rush into buying a system until you have tried some of them. It is an expensive mistake if the system you buy does not suit you.

As a former software designer I find all of the DCC systems have a rather awkward and jurassic user interface that is hardly friendly. The ECOS at least makes a decent stab at making all this guff a bit more user friendly, but jeapers we've been living in a smartphone era for 7 years now and the DCC manufacturers are still living in the MS-DOS era of the early 90s. Technology should be invisible and intuitive. Believe it or not NCE is supposed to be one of the less cumbersome old style system to configure. DCC needs a redesign and a new NMRA spec - it is jurassic. All of this stuff should be setup using smartphones and tablets instead of expensive dedicated and proprietary hardware.

My MERG DCC system cost me 30 quid. ( brand new ) , bit of assembly required and batteries not Included.

The main reason we don't see smartphones etc is ( a) no money in it for the likes of NCE, lenz, digitrax etc. and (b) there is no common specification for accessing boosters. ( command stations ) , unless you know of a smartphone that has 2 amp h-bridge FET dcc drivers.