Layout size

Rate this question

westport

Question

Hi All,

Am currently trying to design a layout for OO scale. The space I have to work with is 11' x mostly 5', (the last 2 or 3' drops down to 4' width). I would like to avoid having an access well if possible. If I can work it so i have access from both of the long sides, do I still need a well? Or is this plan simply too wide not to have one? The proposed height would be about 40". Any advice welcome

Cheers

Westport

14 answers to this question

With access from both long sides, five foot wide is well doable, in my opinion. You might like to make the odd tall item removable, should you need to lean into the middle at some point when things are all in place. Just try it out on a kitchen table...

I had one that was four-foot and single-sided - though that was a stretch..

A mixture of both...I quite like the idea of the "PAR" layout in the Anyrail layout plans. This would give some mainline running on the outside, with smaller goods on the inside. Eliminating an access well would make more space available. I have a list of a couple of "must haves" though, and maybe this is where the problem is....I want a level crossing for an access road, this would have to be a double one I guess, a tunnel, a viaduct(metcalfe kit, 725mm in length), a deep rock cutting, an embankment, and maybe some forestry works. All these elements are local to where I live. Maybe this is asking too much?

You could fit a lot on that space, the trick to track planning is less is more. A layout covered in track won't look like a model railway. A level crossing would be easy I wouldn't use the Hornby or Peco ones as they don't look right. Have a look at my website I have a layout up on it with a level crossing using the studio scale models brass kit.

Is that the size of the room Westport? I just did a quick sketch of what you have and an it's tighter than the camels proverbials in a sandstorm.

I'd suggest a U shaped layout with a large 2 foot board on the longest wall, a curve section across the widest part of the room (5ft) and a fiddle yard about a foot wide on the other side. This will give you an operating space in the middle. :confused: