EE shunter NIR

Rate this question

Liverbird81

Question

12 answers to this question

NIR had 3 DH shunters numbered 1-3.They were used over the entire NIR network,when in service,apart from the Bangor line when it was isolated,generally on PW duties.No 2 was mainly found on the GNR section,with No's 1 and 3 on the ex NCC section.

I have built 2 of these shunters using Mainline/ Bachmann class 03 shunters as donors.

DH3 was the only one to carry white, if that helps. The three were moved to Carrick-on-Suir by the ITG, but 2 and 3 were sold to Holcim for use in Sri Lanka (5' 6") and DH1 was purchased by Beaver Power, Merther Tydfil, Wales, for spares for the other 2, and is still there

DH3 was the only one to carry white, if that helps. The three were moved to Carrick-on-Suir by the ITG, but 2 and 3 were sold to Holcim for use in Sri Lanka (5' 6") and DH1 was purchased by Beaver Power, Merther Tydfil, Wales, for spares for the other 2, and is still there

The last-mentioned is basically just a rolling shell with no engine or transmission, but is still 5ft 3in gauge. The intention for more years than I can remember was to repaint it and use it as a gate guard, but it still lies in the dirt of the car park alongside where their test track used to be located.

Edit: I think they bought the three locos from the ITG to provide two locos to regauge and repower for the cement works job and so ended up with the one left, the work all being done at Merthyr. I think they were engineless when I saw them at Larne but not sure about the transmissions although I suspect the final drive dropbox may have been left in. If anyone has any further info or clarification then I'm sure we'd all find it helpful.

Edited by decauville1126
additional clarification

In truth, they'd have been little use to a preservation outfit, but one would perhaps make an interesting static exhibit in a railway museum. There would never have been much case for preserving all three.

Agreed about all 3 John,but 1 at least could have been saved.Just a pity NIR were not successful when they tried to display one at Lisburn.

Should never have even been talking like this-the ITG had all 3 for preservation but sold them...

Did you read this bit on the ITG site?

During their long period in store at Carrick-On-Suir, the Group had received several enquiries from various engineering companies with a view to them possibly acquiring one or more of these locomotives for industrial use. However, nothing ever came of these enquiries, mainly due to the high cost of replacing the engines and transmissions, around £70,000 Sterling being quoted to put just one locomotive back in running order. It was also accepted that there was no realistic prospect of these locomotives ever being restored to working order by the ITG for the same reason.

If your offered money for something thats going to sit and rot/get wrecked otherwise take it. Preservation involves a lot of realism, not just hopes and dreams

Did you read this bit on the ITG site?

If your offered money for something thats going to sit and rot/get wrecked otherwise take it. Preservation involves a lot of realism, not just hopes and dreams

Agreed Blaine,in all situations with preservation it all comes down to costs.If you can get money for something that cost nothing,then the temptation is too great to resist,especially if it can help with other projects.The final ITG statement probably summed up the real fate for these locomotives within preservation,cost and a desire to preserve a locomotive that would have very little appeal to the general public.If it is not steam,then the general public have no real interest.

At least 2 DHs were restored to find further employment in Sri Lanka,probably a better fate for them than possible vandalism while in storage.