Grease or Oil

Rate this question

burnthebox

Question

5 answers to this question

Hi guys, anyone know if you should use grease to lubricate the moving parts of loco's, & not oil ! & if so where do's one get their hands on the grease, thanks in advance,

Was kinda hoping to get some kind of an answer to this, but it seem's to have slipped by ! Don't know if maybe everyone's on holidays & leaving the site reletively quite maybe the reason why it slipped by

Hi btb, Eileen emporium do range of plastic compatible grease and oils, I would rather use the word lubricants.I used them on a Bachmann 2-6-0 cleaned the gearbox and replaced the grease and used a needle to put a couple of drops of oil on the axle then a drop on the needle point to lube the valve gear and rods.I think it now runs better, quite. My only interest in E

Sewing machine oil is a good substitute for the name brand lubricants. Use light oil on the motor bearings (important but often overlooked, just needs the tiniest amount) and on the worm gear bearings.

Some light grease is best on the worm gear itself and the drive wheel gearing.