Wiring Points for DCC

Rate this question

Kirley

Question

I am moving to DCC for my new layout and also using Peco electrofrog for the first time. I wish to tap into the wealth of experience available on this Forum for advice on how to wire points for the following two track layouts.

Section A

KirleyJunctionLayout31PointworkfromHelix.jpg

Section B

KirleyJunctionLayout32Pointworktomiddlesection.jpg

Simple explanations on what is required would be appreciated.

10 answers to this question

The simplest option I find is to wire each point as a stand alone unit. That will work fine for section A. My bible for this was http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_peco.htm and feel free to ask any questions!

B includes a reverse loop (where you are crossing the polarity) so you will need a unit like the Lenz LK200 to flip the polarity once the train is in a section.

The simplest option I find is to wire each point as a stand alone unit. That will work fine for section A. My bible for this was http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_peco.htm and feel free to ask any questions!

B includes a reverse loop (where you are crossing the polarity) so you will need a unit like the Lenz LK200 to flip the polarity once the train is in a section.

When the time comes for me to install the Cobalts Stephen for the points and signals, expect an invitation to Casa RedRich. Food and drink will be provided free.

Rich,

The electro frogs are worth it tho Rich - the entire point is powered all the time, and if you make the cuts and wire power directly to the stock rails, you get impeccable running, no matter the condition of the contact at the point itself.

The cobalts are a total doddle. Two wires to them for power, one wire to the frog of the point (and optional push button) and you're done. Could not be simpler, and you still have two switches on it available for signals or other uses.

Be careful Stephen, Rich might be looking you to play with his set up after Dave has finished playing with it =))

Anto excellent=)) =)). A splendid time is guaranteed for all. My setup is dual action I'll bet yours ain't, you get what you pay for.

Rich,

Kirley wiring the electro frogs is very straight forward. But as Boskonay says you will need a reverse loop module for section B I'm not to sure but you may need 2 one for each track. Might be best to give Fiona a call at DCC Supplies and email the diagram of section B over to her.

Thanks Guys for the suggestions. Anthony I emailed DCC Supplies re section B and am waiting a reply. If you are about Tue night I'll phone you re electro points.