Murphy 071 Lighting

Rate this question

JT22CW

Question

Evening folks,

Just taken delivery of my first Murphy 071. Stuck a Bachmann chip in it and tried the lights.

I've noticed the model does have the centre headlights, but, does anybody know how to turn them on...

Standard directional lighting is working even if the bulbs are tiny. Not sure about the big beams though...

Any help much appreciated...

• Answers 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yes, on the V4 decoder you can change every other sound bar the prime mover.

74439 sounds pretty close to me. I would'nt worry about the number of cylinders, it was the engine model 645, 567 or 710 which gives the distinctive sound. My 141's all use a 12 cylinder 567 but they sound bang on to me (and anyone else who has heard them!).

Thanks IT. Btw, on the ESU site where one can play demo sounds, some 645's sound quite different to each other, some are much more low pitched guttural and throaty, but others the more normal high pitched GM. Can you test play sounds with the LokProgrammer on a PC without connecting a decoder to the USB programer (i.e. can the PC test sounds)?

Thanks IT. Btw, on the ESU site where one can play demo sounds, some 645's sound quite different to each other, some are much more low pitched guttural and throaty, but others the more normal high pitched GM. Can you test play sounds with the LokProgrammer on a PC without connecting a decoder to the USB programer (i.e. can the PC test sounds)?

Be careful when comparing the sounds, and make sure you have the correct engine model. The 645E sounds very different to the 645E3 because it has a roots blower rather than a turbocharger.

Yes can open the soundfile in the Lokprogrammer software and listen to the sounds without the need for the programmer itself.

Best way is to listen to the various EMD/GM sound files and pick the one that gives you the sound you think is right for the loco. Sound is so subjective that the best way to pick is please your own ear! Its your model railway!

Could'nt have said it better!

That's the beauty of having the Lokprogrammer, you can actually run the sound on your layout then change it if it doesn't suit. Nothing worse than buying a decoder, waiting for it to be shipped to you then finding the recording is not up to scratch or that you just plain don't like the sound of it!

Edited by irishthump

Could'nt have said it better!

That's the beauty of having the free Lokprogrammer software, you can actually run the sound on your layout then change it if it doesn't suit. Nothing worse than buying a decoder, waiting for it to be shipped to you then finding the recording is not up to scratch or that you just plain don't like the sound of it!

Hi IT. I have downloaded the LokProgrammer and the template library. I finally figured out how to play the sound while simulating driving the loco using throttle input slider, but I cannot find a way of pressing function buttons to test the sounds of functions while the prime mover is playing. It appears a very complex process mixing a sound project. I will start reading the manual over the weekend and hopefully will then decide if LokProgammer is for me or not. If I can get one of the new 'Full Throttle' sound project off the ESU USA loco library for EMD567 but add Irish horn, station whistle and station announcement from the old ESU 071 sound project, I might be able to brew a half decent 141/181 project that supports 'Full Throttle' driving, and in time make an 071 FT project as well.

Today I installed my first LegomanBiffo 141 sound decoder (LokSound) and I have to say the sound is fantastic, better than any other 141/181 I have heard so far. The drive being a LokSound V4 however is a little direct and rather responsive, but sounds great. However it has one really daft feature, which initially I though was rather clever, that is when you change direction, believe it or not it actually plays the sound of the driver opening the cab door, leaving the cab, shutting the door, walking down the footway with foot steps, opening the door to the other cab, getting in and closing the door behind him. Yea, kind of clever you might think, but while this lengthy sound sequence is playing you have no throttle control, so you can't shunt this loco. In real life the driver would not change cabs when shunting in a yard. If this sound was available with 'Full Throttle' drive features we might have the best of all worlds.

You can't play more than one sound slot at a time when you have the file open in the Lokprogrammer software. But bear in mind the volume levels for each sound slot are independently adjustable.

"Homebrewing" your own project is very easy. I've just finished making an 201 sound filed with FT, just have to find the time to load it to the decoder.

Regarding Legomanbiffo's 141 file; I emailed DCKits sometime last year when I saw he had the project advertised on the website. To be honest the reply was very vague, all they would tell me was that they hadn't recorded any new sounds for it which led me to believe he was just using the sounds from the ESU website.

The cab door thing sounds like something he has created himself, he's really good at creating his own files, but it sounds a little gimmicky and as you say, impractical!

If you find the Loksound too responsive then try higher values for acceleration and deceleration. Many people don't realise that Loksound use different values for CV's 3 and 4 which equate to about 25% of most other decoders. So if you programme a value of 100 in to CV3 it will be equivalent to 25 on say a Zimo decoder. I usually set my Loksounds at 200 for both CV3 and CV4.